Sugar’s Diehards Rally to Save Diner

After learning that Sugar’s Campus Store will close this spring, two freshmen have organized a growing campus-wide campaign to preserve the neighborhood landmark.

Collin Eckles (MSB ’09) and Jack Carlson (SFS ’09) began the “Save Sugar’s” campaign last week after they learned of the store’s plans to close in May. The two crew teammates also plan to distribute free T-shirts this week supporting their cause.

Sugar’s co-owner Chol Kim said that the diner is closing because Nabeel Audeh, the owner of the building in which Sugar’s operates, has said he will decline to renew the lease when it expires in May. Audeh did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Because Audeh also owns Wisemiller’s Deli on 36th Street, the group has declared a boycott of the popular deli in an effort to start new lease negotiations between Audeh and the Kim family.

“It’s the only leverage we have,” Carlson said.

Eckles said that he and Carlson “feel Mr. Audeh is being unreasonable in this matter. He refuses to talk to anyone and we feel this is a community issue and the community has a right to be heard.”

Carlson also said that the boycott has nothing to do with Wisemiller’s, but with the unfair approach Audeh is taking regarding the building lease.

“I have no problem with Wisey’s, and as soon as Mr. Audeh renews the lease I’ll start going to Wisey’s again,” he said.

The two freshmen began their campaign by creating a group on facebook.com to gauge interest in and promote the cause. It now has has over 220 members.

Carlson said that it was refreshing to see so much support.

“We’ve been flooded with e-mails by individuals requesting shirts and asking how they could show their support,” he said.

“We greatly appreciate the support,” said Chol Kim’s wife, Esther Kim, who also co-owns Sugar’s.

Chol Kim said that the way Audeh is currently handling the situation is unreasonable.

“I made it a better store and now I have to leave empty handed,” he said. “That’s not fair.”

Chol Kim said that he and his wife have proposed that Audeh renew their seven-year lease, after which Kim said he will leave the building and give Audeh the rights to the store’s name for free.

“Sugar’s has to be here, even when I’m gone,” he said.

The Kims purchased the store in 1992.

Carlson called for Audeh to approach the situation fairly.

Several employees at Wisemiller’s said that they were unaware of the lease situation.

“He’s disrespecting tradition, he’s disrespecting the Kims and he’s disrespecting the students of Georgetown,” he said.

The group’s founders said that they are currently speaking with university faculty and administrators, working with local businesses and contacting local organizations to help preserve Sugar’s.

The group has also tried contacting Audeh, but has yet to receive a response, they said.

Victoria Rixey, president of the Citizens Association of Georgetown, a local resident advocacy group, said that CAG has taken no action regarding Sugar’s, but that she planned to contact Carlson in the next few days.

“There seems to be a real grassroots effort being put into this and that’s what we like to see,” she said.

Rixey voiced her concern over the closing of Sugar’s.

“It’s sad when mom and pop stores close in Georgetown,” she said. “I know a lot of residents are unhappy.”

Sugar’s was opened in 1917 and began selling food under the name “Sugar’s Soda Fountain” in 1944.

Eckles said that he has high hopes for the student campaign.

“We’ve got a lot of support and we’re going to succeed,” he said. “This is a historical Georgetown tradition and I think it’s a right of the students of Georgetown to enjoy this place.”