Summers’ Decision May Be for Best

Take a quick look at where DaJuan Summers is projected to be drafted this summer, and it takes about two seconds to condemn his decision

to leave early as a truly foolish case of premature departure. Spend a little more time looking at the junior forward, though, and maybe it makes perfect sense for him to exit the Hilltop a year before his time.

I will make no attempt to predict what will happen in the NBA Draft, but ESPN currently has Summers going in the “late first to early second” and DraftExpress.com has him going in the early second round. Of course, a lot can change between now and the summer, but it seems reasonable to assume that the junior forward is at least aware that a second round selection is possible.

Of all the reasons to stay in school, a possible second-round pick is perhaps the strongest. The second round is the NBA’s ultimate uncertainty because these picks are not guaranteed an NBA contract and many never play an NBA game. In fact, of the 30 players taken in the second round last summer, 12 are currently on NBA rosters and 18 are not. From the 2007 second round, 20 of the 30 players taken are not currently with an NBA team.

Not exactly great odds for somebody who was at one point projected to go in the lottery. While some would argue that Summers must simply be confident enough in his abilities to feel certain of improving his draft status by the summer, it seems odd that he would have such confidence but would not be willing to spend another season moving back into the lottery.

If Summers truly does have confidence in his game, then spending next season at Georgetown should be an enticing offer: another chance to lead the team in scoring, an increased leadership role as a senior, another year of growth and improvement, and another opportunity to prove wrong those who question his talents. Barring some dire financial need that would cause him to prefer less money this year to more the next, there doesn’t seem to be a great reason why a self-confident Summers should leave.

Unless, of course, it is Georgetown, not DaJuan Summers, that he blames for his declined stock in 2009. It would be pure speculation to guess at the potential reasons for him to feel this way, and I will leave it to the message boards and comments to debate them, but if Summers feels that his talents will be better displayed somewhere else, then why stay for another year?

From a basketball standpoint, leaving Georgetown might make sense because he certainly seems like a lock to be taken at some point in the draft, and even a second-round pick all but guarantees you a spot on a summer-league team and months of work-outs with some of the world’s best at player development and weight training. After that, he would have training camp and exhibition games to prove his worth to an NBA team.

Even if that fails, he could draw a paycheck in the National Basketball Development League, or at worst, overseas, and be able to display his talents to whoever is watching.

Knowing all this, maybe Summers simply feels that his professional opportunities are better showcases for his talents than another season in the Georgetown system. This past season, despite increased minutes and fewer other offensive weapons, Summers barely increased his scoring and got statistically worse at rebounding, turnovers and assists – not exactly the kind of improvement that wows scouts. One could imagine a few reasons why the summer league would suit Summers’ game more than the Princeton offense.

As a player approaches graduation, scouts seem to increasingly value results over potential, and with a NBA body and a great three-point shot, potential might be DaJuan Summers’ best asset. By leaving now, he can still hope the NBA sees the potential of a junior playing in college basketball’s best conference. A year from now, if stats don’t change, there may be fewer teams willing to take a chance.

It’s also entirely possible that there are non-basketball factors impacting his decision. We seem to assume with college players leaving early that they are trying to optimize their chances at pro success, but what if Summers is also doing what he thinks will make him happier?

It certainly seems odd to most Georgetown students that it would actually be better to enter the cold, hard professional world any earlier than one has to, but what if Summers just doesn’t really like being here?

Speaking as someone who transferred to Georgetown from a college of perfectly happy students, sometimes a great school just doesn’t fit. If Summers recognizes that he might be playing in Reno next year and would rather take that risk than stay, it seems out of place for anyone to tell him he’s wrong.

Of course it is entirely possible that Summers hasn’t rationally assessed his chances and his pro career will pay the price, but his case seems to just be a fairly unique example of a non-lottery player who may be acting in his best interest by jumping ship.

Summers will have plenty of chances to prove the doubters wrong, and on the right NBA team, he might find a role for himself. The odds may not seem great, but maybe the player who made Hoya fans cringe at his shot selection has finally made the right call. I hear the last Hoya to wear number three who left early is doing alright.