Tenure Restrictions Passed by Faculty

In an effort to increase the transparency of the tenure-application process, the Faculty Senate approved Monday two variations on the process, allowing rejected candidates to be provided reasons for the decision and restricting certain faculty members from receiving tenure.

Under the changes, which were recommended by the Main Campus Executive Faculty, candidates who have been denied tenure by the University Committee on Rank and Tenure – a group of faculty members – will have the option of reviewing the decision with university provost. The provost will relay the committee’s concerns to the rejected applicant, but will not reveal minutes from the UCRT meeting.

“It’s important that everybody participating in the decision be frank and fair and uninfluenced by what anybody will say about them,” University Provost James O’Donnell said.

The MCEF created a task force two years ago to address what they considered a lack of transparency with the tenure application process.

“A candidate would simply be told the answer was `no’ without any information as to why,” MCEF Chair Robert Cumby said.

As a result, candidates were unsure whether to reapply for tenure and in some cases were denied tenure due to misunderstandings that were never brought to light, Cumby said.

The new application process begins at the departmental level, and following the evaluation, the professor’s application is voted upon by all tenured members of the particular department. After receiving the approval of the department, tenure applications are referred to the UCRT. The university president may veto any decisions by the UCRT.

The Faculty Senate also voted on Monday to amend the Faculty Handbook to restrict tenure to only faculty who hold the rank of associate professor or professor. The change will not apply to tenured faculty who do not hold those ranks.

“At the present time, there are not many faculty on the ain Campus in the ranks of assistant professor with tenure or associate professor or full professor without tenure, but there are a few, and the faculty felt it important to connect rank with tenure more closely,” O’Donnell said.

The Senate’s recommendations are still subject to President DeGioia’s approval, but Cumby said they are expected to be approved.