Terrapins Trounce Hoyas in Season-Opening Matchup

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Just as in 2004, the Georgetown men’s lacrosse team opened its season against Maryland. A year later, the result was nearly identical as the No. 4 Terps handed the No. 5 Hoyas a 13-6 defeat on a cold, breezy Saturday afternoon.

In what was an aggressive contest from the start, Georgetown got away with checks and slashes galore. But after controlling the pace of play early in the match, the Hoyas fell behind in the second quarter as uncharacteristic mistakes opened the door for an 8-0 run by the Terps.

Senior midfielder and faceoff specialist Andy Corno won just five of 13 faceoffs, well below the 68 percent clip he established in 2004. Officials ejected Corno from the contest midway through the third quarter for involvement in a scuffle with Maryland sophomore defenseman Travis Holmes.

Holmes’ response epitomized the Terps’ attitude all afternoon. After pushing Corno to draw an unnecessary roughness charge, he let the Georgetown midfielder push him back several times, drawing cheers from the Maryland bench and the crowd.

Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick blamed the loss on “self-inflicted wounds” and acknowledged that Corno was the “last guy I’d expect that” from.

“We made some strides in our scrimmages,” he added. “But we definitely didn’t move forward today.”

Senior goalie Rich D’Andrea also had difficulty on the afternoon, recording just two saves in the game’s first 35 minutes. Urick pulled D’Andrea and sent in freshman Miles Kass, but the Terps had already pulled away to a commanding 8-2 lead. Kass played out the match, allowing five goals while tallying three saves.

At the other end of the field, sophomore Harry Alford bolstered aryland in his first career start in the net, recording 25 saves on the afternoon.

Alford, who played in just six contests in 2004, played especially well in the fourth quarter, earning 10 saves and preventing an unlikely Hoya comeback from what was at one point a nine-goal deficit.

Head Coach Dave Cottle, now in his third season with Maryland, said that high-percentage shots gave his team the advantage, especially given how well his goalie was playing.

“We knew it was going to be one of those ugly games where you’d lose the ball three times and then you’d have a good opportunity,” Cottle added. “We managed to capitalize on our opportunities. They didn’t.”

Terps’ junior midfielder Bill McGlone notched a hat trick on the afternoon, and ten other players each contributed a goal apiece in the Maryland rout. Junior attack Joe Walters paced both teams with four assists, tying a career best.

Georgetown dominated the opening quarter, maintaining possession and relying on the defense to force turnovers and prevent good looks at the net. The Hoyas got on the board first when sophomore attack Trevor Casey found the back of the net 4:48 into the contest.

But it was Georgetown’s only lead of the game, as McGlone scored his team’s first goal late in the first quarter.

Maryland added two more early in the second to take a 3-1 edge, while Georgetown junior midfielder Peter Cannon tallied an unassisted score to cut the Terps’ lead.

Maryland quickly responded with junior midfielder Brendan Healy beating D’Andrea just 1:16 later. The Terps also foiled the Hoyas’ efforts at narrowing their advantage at the intermission, converting a turnover into a score and a 5-2 halftime lead with just three seconds to play.

The Hoyas remained lifeless in the second half, allowing the Terps to pick up right where they left off before intermission with cGlone notching his third score of the afternoon at 12:04. It was just the first goal in a 6-0 Maryland run to open the second half.

At one point in the third quarter, following Corno’s three-minute penalty, the Hoyas were playing down three men. Within that time, two other players were hit with an offside penalty and a slashing penalty, though both were released when the Terps scored their 11th goal.

With the loss the Hoyas fall to 0-4 all-time against the Terrapins.

Georgetown will visit St. John’s on Saturday in its first conference bout of the season. St. John’s, a new addition to the ECAC in 2005, has never beaten the Hoyas in their four meetings between 1992 and 1995.

Game time is slated for 1 p.m. at DaSilva Memorial Field in Queens, N.Y.