The Midnight Mug To Open Soon Despite Setbacks

Amid a brief setback in the opening of The Midnight Mug, the Corp’s new coffee shop located on the second floor of Lauinger Library, three new officers have been elected to lead the student-run organization. Kelsey Shannon (COL ’04) is now the President of the Corp, Peter Faulhaber (COL ’04) will assume the post of Executive Vice President and Katie Klaben (MSB ’04) will take over as Vice President of Finance.

The Midnight Mug, originally scheduled to open its doors a week ago, has been temporarily closed because the university granted the Corp an improper Certificate of Occupancy from the District of Columbia.

“Everything that we had been told to do by the university had been done,” Faulhaber said. “The certificate of occupancy and individuals inspections done by D.C. regulatory affairs had been done.”

Several new inspections were completed on Thursday and the Corp expects the coffee shop and lounge space to be back in commission by the end of the week.

“The university is taking a leading role in getting The idnight Mug open,” Shannon said. “For the most part we’re following their lead. We’re optimistic The idnight Mug will open this week.”

Future Corp initiatives include the construction of a small convenience store in the anticipated Southwest Quadrangle project.