Thefts Continue in Copley Burglary

An unidentified suspect burglarized a Georgetown student’s Copley Hall room Tuesday in an incident university officials said may be related to a series of recent on-campus burglaries and thefts.

The student was in his bathroom at 8:35 a.m. when he heard a noise and observed a male intruder in his room, according to a etropolitan Police Department incident report.

When the student asked the man what he was doing, the suspect said he was “looking for Jermaine and he was sorry for coming into his room.” The student asked the suspect to empty his pockets, and the suspect became “very combative,” according to the report.

Speaking on condition that he not be identified, the student said Thursday that the suspect entered his room as the student was waiting for his girlfriend to visit.

“I was in the bathroom when the guy came in. I left the door slightly ajar for my girlfriend to come in and he came instead,” he said. “I thought it was her but I saw a male in my room.”

The student took the suspect into the hall where he questioned him while his girlfriend called DPS.

“I was in control of the situation the whole time I was talking to him and at that time I pretty much had him in my grasp,” he said. “When DPS came, I assumed things were under control.”

As the DPS officer approached, the suspect bolted, the student said.

According to DPS Director Darryl Harrison, the responding officer gave chase but injured himself while in pursuit. A DPS public safety alert said the suspect was last seen running north from Copley.

After the incident, the student discovered he was missing a silver money clip, credit card, driver’s license, insurance card and $100 in cash, the MPD report said.

MPD responded to the scene shortly after the burglary and took a report along with DPS. The suspect, described as a black male in his late 20s to early 30s with short hair and a black backpack, is still at large.

David Morrell, vice president for university safety, said Thursday that the suspect probably entered Copley through side doors left propped open by students.

The university is investigating the possibility that the incident was related to other thefts and burglaries on campus.

There have been multiple thefts and burglaries in Village A, LXR and Copley this semester.

Morrell said the situation at LXR improved soon after new security requirements were put in place. The new security measures included increased DPS patrols and a reduction in access points to the dorm, he said.

“Once this was put into effect, the reports of things being stolen pretty much stopped,” Morrell said.

Morrell also said that the burglaries have occurred primarily in rooms where doors were left unlocked.

In Copley most of the recent burglaries have taken place on the first two floors. They often involve the theft of small items like credit cards, Morrell said.

“Residents should always keep their doors locked when they’re not inside and be aware of what’s happening around them,” he said. “Also, don’t leave outside doors propped open.”

After the Tuesday burglary in Copley, other students came forward saying they were missing property as well.

J.P. Abello (COL ’07), a resident of Copley’s first floor, first realized his wallet was missing Tuesday evening.

“I noticed my wallet was missing yesterday evening at work but I assumed I just left it in my room,” he said. “My wallet had my insurance card, my Visa [credit cards] and my driver’s license too, plus I lost my silver watch.”

After discovering that someone had charged more than $100 to his credit cards, Abello canceled them Wednesday evening and filed a report with DPS Thursday afternoon.