Thompson Previews New Season

Men’s basketball Head Coach John Thompson III could not even make it through the whole list of his accomplishments. Somewhere around the 2006 Sweet 16, he walked up to the microphone, cutting off his own introduction and amid the now-familiar chant of “J-T-III” he said, “Thanks.”

Thompson spoke to a group of students Wednesday night in Gaston Hall about opportunity, responsibility, and, of course, Hoya basketball. The coach might have been demure in his introduction, but he was confident in his speech. “I want to coach the last game of the year,” he said.

Judging by the record number of students who have already purchased season tickets, he is not the only one that would like to see that happen. According to associate athletic director Kyle Ragsdale, the ticket office exceeded the previous record for student season ticket sales on Wednesday when they went over 2,459 ticket packages sold.

“In my perfect world, I would go around in my Harry Potter invisible cloak,” Thompson joked.

Thompson began the evening by saying how few people get the opportunity to receive higher education, and with that opportunity comes responsibility. “Everyone here, in your own way, do something. Stand up about what’s going on around you,” Thompson said. “We are Georgetown. We are the leaders of tomorrow.”

Thompson cited his work with the John Thompson III Foundation, which helps impoverished youth in the D.C. area. Started just this year, the Foundation aims to provide education and health care to at-risk families and their kids.

After about 10 minutes of inspirational speech, Thompson shifted to the evening’s main focus: basketball.

Thompson expressed excitement and anticipation for the season in what was predominantly an interactive question-and-answer session with those in attendance.

One of the big questions on students’ minds was how the team would make the transition from last year’s Final Four to this year’s new season, particularly with respect to the loss of all-Big East first team player Jeff Green, who now suits up for the Seattle Supersonics. Referring to Green as “the guy out in Seattle,” Thompson said: “Last year’s over. . We have a group down there that’s anxious and ready.”

But when asked whether he was going to change his “same old routine,” referring to the methodical Princeton offense, Thompson replied, “That same old routine’s been OK, I think. . It’s all about us. If we do what we should do, we should be OK.”

Thompson also spoke about the newly planned athletic practice facility on the Hilltop, saying that it is “paramount” in keeping up with the rest of the Big East conference. Construction on the new practice facility not scheduled to begin before 2010.

But what Thompson loved to talk about, and what Wednesday night’s crowd loved to hear, was the role of the fans in the Hoyas’ success. “We need your energy,” Thompson said. “You hear a whole hell of a lot up there. To see our colors, to hear you, it helps. We thank you sincerely.”

Most of the crowd was in attendance because of the excitement surrounding the Hoyas’ season this year, “I’m pretty pumped about basketball, so I wanted first-hand feedback,” Emily Merki (SFS ’11) said. “I’m just excited for the whole experience, rather than watching it on TV.”

Dave Shevlin (MSB ’10) said he enjoyed Thompson’s speech: “I think he really cares about the student body and the fans. He made it known that he cares about more than winning the games.”

The speech was co-sponsored by the Lecture Fund, Hoya Blue, Student Affairs and the Athletic Department.

Thompson’s speech came right in time for the official kickoff of the season, Midnight Madness, tonight in McDonough Gymnasium. As opposed to in previous years, students will be required tickets for entrance into the event. Tickets will be handed out at beginning at 6:45 this evening. The festivities in the parking lot start at 7 p.m. and include GUGS grilling, a DJ, a Dance Dance Revolution contest, a replaying of the Georgetown-UNC game on a big screen television and an ESPN “U Make the Call” contest. Doors open at 8:45, and the events inside the gymnasium begin at 9 p.m.