Three Off-Campus Students Robbed Over Spring Break

Three Georgetown students returned to their university-owned townhouse following spring break to find personal items missing and the house ransacked by unknown intruders.

According to police accounts of the incident, someone kicked open the door of the home on the 1200 block of 37th Street around arch 8 or 9 and ransacked the residence.

Department of Public Safety officer Gary Gordon discovered that the house had been burglarized during routine patrols at about 11 a.m. on March 9, the report said. DPS contacted the Metropolitan Police Department which dispatched officers to the scene to take a report.

Anna Iouioukina (COL ’05) said Sunday that one of her roommates, Jasmina Beganovic (SFS ’05), called her over the break saying that she had received an e-mail from DPS about the incident. But Iouioukina said that nothing could have prepared her for the scene upon her arrival at the house.

“The house was just a mess when I got home. They threw everything around and even broke vases of water on my drawings for art class,” she said. “They went through everything in the house and destroyed whatever they wanted.”

Iouioukina said that her laptop had been stolen but other items of value including jewelry and multiple computers had been left completely untouched.

Another resident of the home, Yasmin Sanchez (SFS ’05) said that her permanent residency and social security cards had both been stolen. Sanchez also said that the burglar had stolen private letters and notes.

“I don’t know who would do this, or why they would only take the things they did,” she said. “I think they must have been drunk or targeting us for some reason.”

Both Iouioukina and Sanchez said they did not know who would have wanted to ransack their house.

DPS Director Darryl Harrison said that investigators wanted to meet with the house’s residents in order to “get a full report and assessment of the incident to determine what might be missing.”

Harrison said that officers were unable to determine what had been stolen because the home’s residents had been away during spring break when the burglary occurred.