Thunderstorms Slow Sea Ray Relays

When it rains, it pours. Georgetown track and field rescheduled its Saturday meet due to severe rain in the eastern United States. Thunderstorms brought the competition at the Sea Ray Relays in Knoxville, Tenn., to a premature conclusion, while the remaining Hoyas battled rainy conditions at the Lou Onesty/Milton G. Abramson Invitational in Charlottesville, Va.

Inclement weather forced meet officials to clear the stadium at 2:22 p.m., and about 25 minutes later, the meet officially ended. A total of 13 events, including six out of seven for the Hoyas, were not completed.

In the lone completed event for Georgetown, the women’s distance medley relay, featuring redshirt junior Elizabeth Maloy, senior Jayne Penn, redshirt sophomore Maggie Infeld and graduate student Hilary Bontz, placed fifth with a time of 11:33.85.

At the University of Virginia, a small contingent of Hoyas battled the weather to post a couple of qualifying times. Junior Shane Young posted a Big East qualifying mark in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, placing fourth with a time of 9:30.70. Senior Ashley ondie also had a conference mark, jumping 38 ft., 7.75 in. (11.78m) in the triple jump.

The women’s 4x400m relay team of Mondie, junior Alex Baptiste, freshman Sarah Wernik and sophomore Charlena Tillett was second in 3:49.72, an ECAC-qualifying mark.

Georgetown returns to the track next weekend at Princeton for the Larry Ellis Invitational.