Tigers Claw Hoyas for Second Straight Loss

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Gloria Lozano and the Hoyas lost a second consecutive match to Princeton, but got a win over Rutgers.

On Saturday, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team did something it has not done since the 2000 season.

It lost a second consecutive game.

Three years ago, the pair came in late March, first to Princeton, then to Duke less than a week later. In a feat that borders on history repeating itself, Georgetown followed up last week’s loss to Duke with a disappointing 13-11 overtime finish against Princeton.

Sophomore midfielder Allison Chambers kept the Hoyas alive when her free-position shot found the back of the net with only 1.2 seconds remaining in the rematch of last season’s National Championship game. The goal answered a Tiger tally just 17 seconds earlier which seemed to put the game out of reach for Georgetown. Chambers’ goal, her third of the evening, put Georgetown into overtime.

“We had some opportunities in the game to open it up, take control, and we let Princeton keep creeping back in, and obviously at the end of the game when it mattered most, we let them get up on us,” Head Coach Kim Simons said. “Even though it shows a lot of heart that we came back and scored with 1.2 seconds left in regulation to put it into overtime, that game should never have gone into overtime.”

Two minutes later, however, Princeton knocked in a goal to go up 12-11. The Tigers held the Hoyas scoreless in the overtime periods, while putting up another point on their own side of the scoreboard when Princeton junior midfielder put one past Georgetown freshman goaltender Dosha Stright, putting the game out of reach for the Hoyas.

The Hoyas’ largest lead of the contest was two, early in the going. Scoring was sporadic for both teams, however, with the teams knotting the score nine times and the lead changing hands five times.

Statistically, Georgetown dominated Princeton, outshooting the competition 30-21. The Hoyas also corralled four more groundballs and four more draws than the Tigers. Princeton had a save margin of five, 8-3, while sophomore goaltender Sarah Robinson allowed nine goals to slip by. Stright played nearly 20 minutes in the net, letting in four goals with only one save.

The result was different on Sunday when Georgetown continued its New Jersey roadtrip by taking on Rutgers. While the result was different, Simons said she was less than impressed with the team’s effort. Coming off a close loss to sixth-ranked Princeton, the contest with Rutgers should hardly have been a challenge for the Hoyas. It was, however, as Rutgers took Georgetown down to the wire before falling 6-5.

“Friday night we played well and we lost, and on Sunday we played horribly and we won. That’s sometimes what happens in sports. To be honest, we were lucky just to get out of Rutgers with a win. Although our defense played well and our goalkeeper played better than she had on Friday night, overall it was a very disappointing team effort.”

For the first 12 minutes of play, the Hoyas did not allow the Scarlet Knights a scoring opportunity. In that time, however, Georgetown only netted one goal for itself, as Chambers found the back of the net. The Hoyas found themselves up only 2-1 at the half on Chambers’ second of the afternoon.

“In all honesty we just didn’t play very hard and we didn’t play very smart; not to take anything away from Rutgers, because they competed hard, but it really was more of what we were doing to ourselves rather than what they were doing, and we continually failed to finish on opportunities that we had,” Simons said.

The Hoyas nearly took themselves out of the game, maintaining only a margin of one in the statistical categories of caused turnovers, draws and shots on goal. It took a shot from senior attack Wick Stanwick with less than three minutes left to put the game away and secure the win – albeit a sloppy one – for the Hoyas.

Georgetown next takes on the No. 2 Maryland Terrapins tomorrow at 4 p.m. on Kehoe Field. “The only way you’re going to beat Maryland is if you compete hard for 60 minutes; it doesn’t mean you’re necessarily going to be controlling the game for 60 minutes,” Simons said. “We can’t have the lapses that we’ve continually had throughout the season up to this point.”

Later in the week the Hoyas face North Carolina, the only team to beat them in the regular season last year. The Tar Heels are currently ranked No. 11 in the nation, and pose a serious challenge to Georgetown if the team continues to play as it has.

“How we play this week, against Maryland and North Carolina is going to say a lot about this team and who we are and where we’re going. We need to have two very strong showings and two great team efforts if we really expect to be in the hunt at the end of the season.”