Track’s Winter Circuit Begins Successfully

On Dec. 6, Georgetown’s men’s and women’s track and field teams opened their indoor season with a meet at the U.S. Naval Academy. The unscored event was marked by several individual successes, most notably senior Robert Wingate-Robinson’s new school record in the 55m dash and three NCAA provisional qualifying performances by members of the women’s team.

Wingate-Robinson ran the 55m dash in 6.36 seconds to break a 14-year old school record in the event previously set at 6.40 seconds. Most of the top men’s distance runners did not compete, but the team received strong efforts from their sprinters and field event athletes.

Senior Davin Williams claimed victories in the long jump and triple jump, and sophomore Teddy Presley followed Williams to take second place in both events. Freshman Danny Pellegrino began his Georgetown career with an impressive second-place performance in the pole vault. Pellegrino cleared 13 feet, nine inches, falling one foot shy of victory.

The women’s team found success on all fronts and was especially dominant in the distance events, where they swept the top four spots of the 5,000m run and notched several qualifying times.

Junior Sarah Scholl and sophomore Nicole Lee both earned NCAA provisional qualifying times while placing first and second, respectively, in the 5,000m. Junior Treniere Clement picked up another qualifying mark in the 3,000m.

The team’s accomplishments extended into the middle distances and sprints, as sophomore Jodee Adams-Moore (mile), senior Erin Sicher (1,000m), junior Kori Hamilton (500m) and junior onica Hargrove (200m) all claimed individual victories.

This weekend the teams will compete in both the George Mason and Rutgers Invitational.