Trump Advises Students on Business Success

Real estate magnate Donald Trump spoke about the keys to entrepreneurial success in a speech delivered to a capacity crowd in Copley Formal Lounge Friday afternoon. Using personal experiences and anecdotes that drew laughs from the audience, Trump related several major points of advice, saying that “if you don’t love [business], you’re not going to be good at it.”

Trump first shared business advice by recommending that one keep an open mind to new ideas, dare to dream, establish goals, know one’s strengths and weaknesses, devote oneself to what he is doing and most importantly complete a strong education.

“A key into these companies today is the valuable symbol of an MBA,” he said.

Trump currently owns major pieces of real estate in NYC, including the Empire State Building, the Trump Towers, the Plaza Hotel and the GM Building. In addition to his other hotels, casinos and real estate projects, he also does humanitarian work and has authored three best-selling books.

He also spoke about overcoming adversity in relation to the 1990 real estate market crash that left him $9.2 billion in debt.

“All my life I’ve been successful . I hate to use foul language, but in 1990 the sh- hit the fan.”

Trump said he returned to the workplace driven by his phrase, “Survive till ’95.” His asset value returned and his company enlarged to the point that he was credited by the Guinness Book of World Records for “greatest financial comeback.”

“I’ve worked very hard. I’ve focused more in the past 10 years than I have since I started the business,” Trump said. “I loved coming back from adversity.”

Trump offered the audience what he considered to be the three keys to success: `thinking big,’ staying focused by not taking accomplishments for granted and being slightly paranoid.

“We hunt for pleasure. So you have to really be a little bit paranoid. There are so many stories about people who have been decimated by people they trusted,” he said.

Trump also said that one should always keep his momentum going, go with one’s gut, be passionate about one’s work, strive to get even and hire the best people but carefully watch them. He also mentioned the need to be lucky. “If luck was a factor I wouldn’t be here today. But some people are luckier than others.”

His final piece of advice, which elicited laughter from the audience, was to always secure a pre-nuptial agreement, as the monetary aspect of divorce proceedings can be quite complicated and potentially disastrous.

Trump has had two marriages in the past two decades that ended in divorce. His marriage to Ivana Trump ended in 1990. Trump wed arla Maples in 1993 and divorced six years later after having one child.

A question and answer session followed during which Trump said he would “like to be remembered as somebody who truly understood quality and knew how to get it done and also took care of a lot of people.”

Trump was introduced by McDonough School of Business Dean Christopher Puto and Georgetown Entrepreneurs Association co-presidents Ates Celep (GRD GM) and Jason Claire (GRD GM). They also presented him with a crystal clock engraved with the SB’s inscription.

Trump graduated from the Wharton School of Business in 1968 and his daughter Ivanka Trump (MSB ’04) is a Georgetown student.