Tuition to Rise by 2.9% Next Year

Georgetown’s tuition will increase by 2.9 percent for the 2009-2010 school year, the university announced yesterday, while need-based financial aid may increase by as much as 18 percent.

The Georgetown University Board of Directors recently approved the increase in undergraduate tuition, which will bring the cost of a Georgetown education up from $37,536 to $38,616 beginning next fall, according to a university press release. The cost of room and board will also increase by 2.9 percent, making the average total cost of living and learning on the Hilltop next year $51,543.

“A tuition increase was necessary in order to continue to fund operating costs to support faculty, maintain facilities and enhance our academic programs,” university spokesperson Julie Bataille said in an e-mail.

Bataille said this is Georgetown’s smallest percentile tuition increase since 1973. This percentile tuition increase is just more than half of that from the previous year. Last year, the board voted to raise tuition 5.5 percent between the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 school years.

In the press release, University Provost James O’Donnell said that increasing tuition is necessary even in the midst of the economic recession.

“We are working hard to be mindful of economic impacts facing current and prospective students. We are balancing the need to limit tuition growth during these uncertain financial times with the need to continue to support top-notch faculty and provide exceptional academic programs and services,” he said.

While Georgetown is raising tuition for students, faculty salaries will not likely be affected in the recession, Bataille said.

“At this time we are not anticipating layoffs or salary freezes for faculty and staff but final compensation rates have not yet been finalized for next year,” she said.

In response to Georgetown’s increased cost of attendance and the spiraling economy, financial aid will likely also increase for next year, according to the release. Based on the current budget for next year, financial aid could receive $88 million for 2009-2010, an 18 percent increase from this year.

“Georgetown has doubled its expenditures on undergraduate scholarship aid over the past decade, increasing scholarship spending at more than twice the rate of tuition growth,” the release states.

Currently 55 percent of Georgetown students receive some sort of financial assistance. This year the university provided approximately 2,700 students with need-based scholarships. Georgetown releases funds to students expressing need, which is re-evaluated annually and expects students and their families to contribute as much financially to their education as possible.

According to the Office of Student Financial Services’ Web site, “So that limited funds can be shared most equitably, Georgetown University expects that each student and his or her family will contribute to the fullest extent possible to meet educational expenses, drawing on income and all family net assets (including home equity).”

Tuition is rising across the university – and at noticeably higher rates.

Summer school tuition will increase by 5.5 percent per credit, the release states.

Additional tuition increases for full-time students include a 4.5 percent tuition increase for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, a 4.9 percent increase in tuition for the Masters of Business Administration program, a 4.5 percent tuition increase for the Department of Nursing graduate program, and a 4 percent increase in tuition for graduate students at the Georgetown University Law Center.