Ultimate Defined by Youth

David Hartlzer (COL `06) uses one word to describe his experience as treasurer of the men’s ultimate frisbee team – fun.

According to Hartzler, this young team made up of 15 freshmen and seven upperclassmen is going through a rebuilding process, but it has experienced significant success nonetheless.

Despite relative youth and inexperience, the squad has been holding steady at .500 with victories over area schools including Catholic and American.

Hartzler points to Ryan Moore (MSB ’08) and Alex King (COL ’08) as two players who have stood out over the course of the season.

“They’re two of our best players and almost never make mistakes,” he said.

But the team often has trouble getting field space. They practice twice weekly on Kehoe Field but must negotiate with varsity teams in order to find practice time.

The women’s ultimate frisbee team is looking forward to tournaments on Apr. 2-3 and a special sectionals tournament on Apr. 16-17. According to team president Erin Devlin (SFS ’07) and team treasurer Christina Mamangakis (COL ’07), if the women place in the top five at sectionals, they will head to a regional tournament with a shot at making nationals.

The women’s team plays in the Colonial Section of the etro East Region in the Ultimate Players Association. Georgetown takes on teams ranging from George Washington to Salisbury University.

The women’s team is stocked full of young talent. According to both Devlin and Mamangakis, the team is “committed” and plays “because of a love of the game.”