Undermanned Hoyas Fall To Terrapins Squad

Coming off the season opening win at MCI Center, the Georgetown club ice hockey team faced Maryland on Friday night. The Terrapins were a step up for the Hoyas in the Mason-Dixon Club Hockey Association and combined with Georgetown’s limited squad, helped Maryland skate to a 3-2 victory.

Maryland rushed out of the blocks in the first period, scoring all three of their goals. The first goal came with 7:30 left in the first followed by a second just 12 seconds later. Maryland got the game-winning goal with two minutes remaining in the first.

The Hoyas were more aggressive in the second period. Attacking the Terrapins’ goalie, their efforts paid off with a goal by junior forward Trevor Martin with 7:10 remaining in the period. artin was assisted by sophomore forward Anthony Scillia on the play.

The third period saw Georgetown’s defense prevent the Terrapins from getting any scoring opportunities. The Hoyas pulled within one goal of tying the game on junior forward Dan Percella’s goal off a breakaway. Freshman defenseman Dan O’Connor came up with the assist with 1:54 left in the game.

The score by Percella, a fan favorite, caused the Georgetown bench to come alive with excitement. The Hoyas pulled their goalie for a sixth attacker but failed to capitalize with the extra man advantage.

Head Coach Brad Kent feels the prospects for a successful season ahead look good for the Hoyas. Georgetown returns many talented players this year.

“We didn’t have the whole team with us against aryland, and if we had, I think we might have won the game,” Kent said.

The Hoyas are now 1-1 on the season, and Kent believes Georgetown can repeat as MDCHA South Division Champions because of their depth at both ends of the rink. Georgetown has also benefited from the addition of six freshmen, including forward Andy Rauschecker and goalie Casey Yarger.

Georgetown next plays Princeton on Oct. 21. The Hoyas open at home against Wagner next month at Cabin John Rink in Rockville, Md.