Union Supports Resolution For Club Credit Accounts

A resolution on the establishment of student organization accounts at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union was unanimously passed by the 16 club representatives present at the GUSA Club and Activities Union meeting Wednesday night.

The proposal, sponsored by Matt Connolly (COL ’04), resolves that GUSA, Student Activities Commission and other student organizations will establish accounts at the Credit Union to be used for “funds that clubs raise of their own initiative or come from outside donations from corporations and alumni.”

Under the new plan, outside donations would be made directly to the selected club or organization rather than to the university.

The creation of the independent accounts will address problems of students paying for expensive events on personal credit cards and of the funneling of funds back to a university account rather than an autonomous fund, Connolly said.

In response to concerns voiced by club representatives, Connolly said he does not foresee SAC decreasing the amount of money allocated to a certain group because of the amount of money in its Credit Union account.

“They [SAC] have specific guidelines for giving out money and I see no reason why that would change in the future,” he said.

Connolly and Credit Union officials plan to work out the details of the arrangement over the summer and to implement the plan this fall.

“It’s going to take some work to get past the university guidelines that say all university accounts must go through the university,” he said.

A resolution on the creation of an Alumni Advisory Council and a proposal for the creation of a box office in the Leavey Center were also passed at the Club Union meeting.

The formal Alumni Advisory Council resolution proposed that GUSA organize lists of the graduating members of each club so that they may be easily contacted in the future. “Often, clubs want to get involved with alumni, and it’s hard to keep up with them,” GUSA Historian Adam Doverspike (SFS ’03) said. “GUSA would keep a history if clubs wanted to go back and access those names.”

The box office idea proposes to convert the current information desk in the Leavey Center into a centralized, visible box office for all student groups. This is in response to the difficulties posed by ticket sales and aims to improve participation and support for performing arts groups and other organizations, such as Hoya Blue and club sport teams.

“It’s often difficult to get a table for ticket sales and then work around everyone’s schedules to staff it,” resolution sponsor Meg MacWhirter (SFS ’05) said. “This will help publicize a lot of events.”

A fourth resolution calling for SAC and GUSA to fund the purchase of tape duplication machines for GUTV failed in a seven-to-five vote. GUTV would use the machines to copy videos of student events for students as a non-profit community service, GUTV general manager Richard Bennett (MSB ’03) said.