University Grad Designated as Rhodes Scholar

Courtesy Anthony House Anthony House, recipient of Rhodes Scholar distinction

Anthony House (COL ’02) was recently awarded a Rhodes Scholarship for 2003. House plans to earn a masters of philosophy at Oxford in economics and social history.

“A scholar, a leader and a humanitarian, Anthony exemplifies the distinction of Georgetown University’s mission of dedication to community service,”University President John D. DeGioia said in a Dec. 9 press release. “He has chosen to use his academic excellence to benefit others and his community, and the knowledge he will receive at Oxford will only enhance that generous desire. I congratulate him on this honor and applaud his commitment to serve others.”

House hopes to focus on London’s growth between Queen Elizabeth’s rule in the 1500s and the Great Fire of 1666, concentrating on how the common people of London were affected during this time of growth, specifically the development of London slums. His future aspiration is to earn a Ph.D. in urban planning.

While working to complete his major in history at Georgetown, House took an interest in community service and social justice. He worked with HIV and AIDS patients through the Whitman Walker Clinic and It’s For the Kids during his years at Georgetown, as well as serving as a leading advocate for a proposed Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center. House described the approved LGBTQ group as a major step for Georgetown.

“It brought me into contact with amazing fellow Hoyas and gave me a chance to help improve the lives of a large and largely ignored group of students on campus,” he said. “While there is still a lot of work left to do – both at Georgetown and at other Catholic universities around the country – the progress we did make during the 2001-02 school year was an important first step in improving the lives of queer and questioning college students.”

House received numerous awards and honors during his academic career at Georgetown. During his senior year, he was awarded the orris Historical Medal, the top award in history for graduating seniors at Georgetown, as well as the Foley Medal, an award for his commitment to community service. He was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

A native of Spokane, Wash., House returned west after graduation and has been working at a homeless shelter called Old Town Clinic in Portland, Ore through the Jesuit Volunteer Corps.

“In addition to basic medical services, Old Town Clinic is committed to helping its patients stabilize their lives,” House said. “As a Jesuit Volunteer, I work with our patients to help them find food and shelter. I provide clothing and hygiene supplies, and I advocate on behalf of those who are able to work.”

House’s family said it could not be more proud of his accomplishments. His mother, Jan House, said, in a Dec. 9 Washington Post article, that “he always loved learning things.” According to her, he excelled in math and science throughout his academic career, but because he felt they came too easily, his collegiate studies focused on history and English.

“I immediately started crying [when I heard that Anthony had won the Rhodes]. I was so excited. I was more excited about this than when I found out I got into Georgetown,” his younger sister, Amanda House (COL ’05) said. “Although it’s now a chore to leave my house back in Spokane because literally everyone asks me about the scholarship, his studies and how I feel about it, I’ve never been so proud in my entire life.”

“At the most practical level, I learned how to study history [at Georgetown],” Anthony House said in reference to the practical life lessons he was taught during his time on the Hilltop. “I also (after three years) realized that the more I have on my plate the better I do and the happier I am. I learned that it’s imperative to confront injustice when you encounter it and that every voice makes a difference.”

House is the first Georgetown graduate to be awarded a Rhodes Scholarship since 1997, a year in which three graduates won the award. Including House, 18 Georgetown students have now won the award since 1984. House was selected from the 981 candidates who were supported by 34 colleges and universities in this nationwide competition.

Rhodes Scholarships began in 1902 by the will of Cecil Rhodes, a British philanthropist and imperialist in Africa. Rhodes Scholars are chosen for their high academic achievement, qualities of integrity and good character, an unselfish spirit, respect toward others, leadership potential and physical talent. Former Rhodes winners include former President Bill Clinton (SFS ’68), and former New Jersey senator and basketball player Bill Bradley.

“The university congratulates Anthony on his accomplishments and the receipt of this award,” Georgetown Director of Communications Julie Green Bataille said. “We’re proud of his many achievements and wish him much success in this endeavor.”