University Thefts Prompt Questions

Multiple residence halls rooms were burglarized over the winter break, in the latest of a series of thefts in locked student residences.

University and District of Columbia law enforcement sources said that at least five locked rooms were burglarized on the fourth floor of Village C East over the break. At least one other burglary was reported in a locked room on the fifth floor of Copley Hall. All of the residence hall locks on the second, third and fourth floors of Village C East were changed by university officials as students returned back to campus.

Officials would not say if there were any individuals currently under investigation for the thefts.

Karen Frank, vice president for student facilities and housing, said that her department had “rotated locks” on the second, third and fourth floors as part of a plan to spread standard lock changes out over the course of the school year.

But Department of Public Safety Director Darryl Harrison said onday that the loss of a university key had precipitated the changing of all of the door locks. Harrison would not say what the key was for or who had lost it.

David Morrell, vice president for university safety, said that he could not reveal whether anyone was under investigation for the burglaries.

“DPS continues to investigate a number of thefts which took place over the holiday break to determine if there’s an association or if there are possible suspects,” he said. “We’re exploring all possibilities.”

According to Jeremy Jenkins (COL ’05) a resident of the fourth floor of Village C East, he could not enter his room when he returned from winter break because of the changed lock.

“I had call DPS to let me back in and when I looked for my laptop, I discovered it was stolen,” he said.

Jenkins filed a report with DPS and the Metropolitan Police Department. An MPD incident report said that his laptop, digital camera, Playstation and laptop carrying case had been stolen.

Tyler Rogers (COL ’07), who lives in the room adjacent to Jenkins, said that when he entered his dorm room he found that he was missing more than $1,400 worth of property, including a television, DVD player, stereo and graphing calculator.

Fourth floor resident Katie Jorgensen (COL ’07) said that the university’s Office of Risk Management had offered to reimburse residents for the thefts.

Employees of the Office of Risk Management did not return a phone call placed to them Friday.

There were multiple thefts from residences in Village A, Copley and LXR last semester. In at least three of the Copley thefts, students said their doors had been locked. University officials said the situation at LXR improved after new measures, including increased DPS patrols and reduced access points, were implemented.

– HOYA Staff Writer Fred Lestina contributed to this report