University to Boost Patrols for Final Four Games

The Hoyas are ready. So is the Department of Public Safety.

DPS and the Metropolitan Police Department were supervising the crowd of students last week as the Hoyas advanced to the Final Four, and officials say they are working to increase security measures by adding patrols in anticipation of the upcoming game.

Hundreds of students flooded M Street after the Hoyas’ win against the University of North Carolina Saturday night, and while celebrations on campus were mostly peaceful, there were some reports of vandalism, including a damaged fence and fire in Alumni Square.

“We have been working very closely to ensure that our students and community can safely enjoy the success of the Hoyas men’s basketball team,” DPS Director Darryl Harrison said. “You will notice an increased security presence both on campus and in our adjacent community.”

Harrison said that the increased patrols will include both regular DPS officers and DPS-hired security officers.

Vice President for University Safety David Morrell said that DPS plans to have several officers on hand at all of the sites open for game-watch, including McDonough Gymnasium and Sellinger Lounge. He added that several DPS officials, including Harrison and DPS Assistant Director Morris Britt, will be patrolling the area. Aside from the normal foot patrols, MPD will be utilizing patrols on horse, bike and scooter, as well as traffic control units, Morrell said.

Morrell added that the patrols are not meant to dampen the festivities this weekend, but officers may take action if celebrations begin to get out of hand.

“There won’t be any attempt to prevent people from moving around,” Morrell said. “[We’ll] let it go so far, and then it’s got to be tempered down.”

Students will encounter a heavy MPD presence in the area immediately off campus.

“We are geared up to provide additional resources,” PD Second District Cmdr. Andrew Solberg said at a town hall meeting on Monday evening. “We will have a lot of cops out Saturday night, and of course, Monday night.”

Aside from increased patrols, DPS will be taking further measures to ensure a safe environment in which students can enjoy the game. The North Road entrance to the Southwest Garage will be closed on Friday and Saturday nights, and only permit parkers will be permitted through the Canal Road and Prospect Street entrances. Gates on either side of Leavey Center will also be down until Sunday morning.

“For Saturday, DPS will also monitor access to campus and at certain times, restrict vehicular traffic altogether,” Harrison said. “We intend to carry over our plans to Monday night.”

Safety officials agreed that both MPD and DPS were successful in supervising the postgame celebration last weekend and that students were also extremely cooperative.

“Georgetown students were certainly jubilant and enthusiastic, but never once over the line, which says a lot for the Georgetown students,” Morrell said.

Solberg said that the students’ behavior allowed MPD to be efficient in controlling the crowd and eventually clearing the streets.

“We did a very good job of letting the kids have their fun,” Solberg said. “They didn’t appear to be drunk or damaging any property. That allows us to have a non-intrusive but visible presence. It was very exciting to work that [Sunday] evening.”

– Hoya Staff Writers Vel Hernandez and Patrick Sheridan contributed to this report.