Untrue Lies About the Recall

If you are a true Californian, you were glued to CNN, MSNBC and Fox News late last Tuesday night. It had been an emotionally taxing week for Californians, as the two Bay Area teams went down in bitter defeat in baseball’s playoffs. Now, after all those months of commercials and debates and distractions, Oct. 7, the date of the much-anticipated recall election in California had finally arrived. As the night unfolded, reality slowly began to set in – Republican actor Arnold Schwarzenegger defeated embattled Democratic Governor Gray Davis to become California’s 38th governor. The tagline for Schwarzenegger’s film Junior had come true – “Nothing is Inconceivable”.

Arnold’s victory was resounding. The recall passed 55 percent to 44 percent in official returns. Schwarzenegger garnered 49 percent of the vote; Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante came in a distant second with 32 percent. Novelty candidates like actor Gary Coleman, adult film actress “Mary Carey” Cook and Kurt Rightmyer, a sumo wrestler, enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame but could only muster three percent of the votes combined. Statewide, voter turnout was near 60 percent, somewhat disappointing considering the media blitz.

In his first news conference, the governor-elect promised that he will be the people’s governor. “That is the most important thing: governor for the people, not for the special interests, but for everybody.”

Meanwhile, gracious in defeat, Davis acknowledged that the people have said that they want somebody else to govern and reiterated his goal to do what’s best for Californians in pledging his support to Arnold. According to The Los Angeles Times, Davis may now look to find a position with a non-profit organization working on educational or environmental issues or providing mentors to young people. But a five-year term as governor and all that he helped accomplish – raising achievement scores in education for five consecutive years, extending health care to workers and adding 900,000 new jobs – was terminated by the “Kindergarten Cop.”

Davis dug his own political grave after covering up budget woes while he was campaigning for reelection last year. Furthermore, his public speaking abilities were never fresh or commanding. His approval rating plummeted.

Despite the fact that “The Governator” will now lead the world’s fifth largest economy, California is not, to borrow a phrase often used from his movies, “in a crisis situation.” Schwarzenegger has prided himself on being a non-career politician and has vowed to “clean up Sacramento.” He will hopefully restore confidence in the state’s government.

In last Friday’s issue (“Davis Terminated,” The Hoya, Oct. 10, 2003, p.3), Eric Rodawig wrote that the recall “is a huge burden lifted off of the shoulders of the good people of the Golden State.” Rodawig, a native of South Dakota, feels that Arnold “will bring strong leadership to California.” While it may seem like a good outcome for the state in the short term, its long-term effects could be harmful for politics in general. It could create a domino effect for a citizenry that is fed up with governmental inefficiency. Schwarzenegger’s victory also signals a possible chance that Republicans can win the heavily Democratic state’s 55 electoral votes in the 2004 presidential election. The new administration will face an estimated $8 billion budget gap but Arnold has appointed an independent agency to assess the state’s financial situation and has appointed businessman Warren Buffet as his economic advisor. The governor-elect has also vowed to repeal the recently tripled car tax that Davis signed. He will further seek to repeal the law allowing undocumented workers to obtain driver’s licenses. Although his actions may raise the budget shortfall to $12 billion, Schwarzenegger said in his victory speech, “I will not fail you. I will not disappoint you and I will not let you down.”

Let’s hope for the sanity of all Californians that Mr. Schwarzenegger is true to his word and held accountable. Let’s hope he brings California back.

Victor Calderon is a senior in the College.