US Officials Discuss Campus Flu Threat

As the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention](https://www.cdc.gov/) and universities across the country brace for the continued spread of H1N1 virus, government officials spoke with college newspapers via teleconference last Friday to update campuses with the latest information regarding this flu season.

“Flu season has begun much earlier and almost all of it is H1N1,” said Beth Bell, associate director for epidemiological science at the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease at the CDC.

Bell verified that all 50 states are affected by the virus and admittance in hospitals for flu-like symptoms is higher this year. While D.C. is not reporting widespread influenza, the most recent update to the CDC’s Web site shows “local spread.”

According to Bell and the CDC, H1N1 has afflicted those under the age of 25 more noticeably than previous forms of influenza. While college campuses themselves provide an environment that increases the propensity for spread of disease, older people may have a slightly stronger immunity to the virus.

“We really take the H1N1 virus seriously,” U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said at the teleconference.

Duncan also emphasized prevention through close monitoring and common sense as the means for individuals to keep themselves healthy.

U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius also shared some general guidelines to follow until the first shipment of vaccines becomes available. Separating the sick from the healthy was the main theme of the teleconference. Sebelius promoted using meal drop-offs for the ill to minimize the potential spread of the virus at public gathering places like dining halls. She also included simple tips, encouraging students to sneeze into their elbows and wash their hands regularly.

According to Sebelius, the H1N1 vaccine will become available during the first week of October. One dose should be sufficient, yielding an immune response within 10 days, she said. College students are advised to take the vaccine when it becomes available. Though most people can wait until the vaccine is released, those in a high-risk group, such as those with prior illnesses or pregnant women, are suggested to take anti-viral treatment as a preventative measure to avoid complications.

There are a number of things that make the H1N1 virus distinctive and dangerous, according to Sebelius. No one has seen it before, so scientists cannot predict what it looks like or what it can do. Also, the virus has a chance to mix with the seasonal variant, potentially creating issues with the vaccine’s utility further into the season.

Sebelius said that scientists were continually testing new cases of the disease to ensure that the vaccine being developed will continue to target the same virus. Moreover, changes to the virus itself do not always mean that a vaccine will be ineffective.

While the CDC has not created specific guidelines for colleges in regard to canceling classes due to widespread illness, both Bell and Sebelius recommended that colleges should develop their own strategies based on local factors. They recommended consultation with local health authorities and a detailed look at campus resources.

[Georgetown](https://www.thehoya.com/news/gu-finds-50-likely-h1n1-cases/) has already responded to the threat with a [preparedness campaign](https://www.thehoya.com/videos/News/) that includes fliers and brochures that provide tips on how to avoid illness and prevent the virus’s spread. Letters to the community have been sent on a regular basis; the latest update was delivered on Sept. 9.