VOLLEYBALL Hoyas Win Four in a Row

Charles Nailen/The Hoya The Georgetown volleyball team added two more Big East victories to its record last weekend.

The Georgetown volleyball team cruised to two more Big East victories last weekend, improving its Big East record to 5-1. Freshman Sara Albert was named Big East player of the week for her play in the victories. Friday, the Hoyas defeated Pittsburgh 3-1 (30-18, 19-30, 30-24, 30-16) at home. In their second ome game of the weekend, Georgetown downed the Mountaineers of West Virginia in three games (30-19, 30-21, 30-25).

To kick off Columbus Day weekend, the Hoyas dominated the Pittsburgh Panthers. Led by senior Yulia Vtyurina, who scored a match-high 17 kills, nine digs and three blocks, Georgetown was dominant throughout the four game match.

Georgetown did an especially good job of blocking in the match, which is one of the things Head Coach Li Liu hoped to improve upon this season. The Hoyas had 15 blocks in the match, while the ountaineers tallied three.

Junior Anna Kliensorge and Albert contributed extensively on defense posting 15 blocks and 21 kills together. Also posting big numbers for the Hoyas was sophomore Jen Ward, who scored a match-high 42 assists and a match-high three aces to go along with seven digs, four blocks and two kills.

Junior co-captain Lauren Warner had her usual strong game putting up 10 kills, four digs, two blocks, two assists and one ace. On the defensive end, junior Anna Sones added 17 digs and senior co-captain Meg Mullen had 11 digs, four kills, and two blocks.

Georgetown out-hit Pittsburgh .200-.094 in the match hitting .406 in the fourth game to seal the victory.

Pittsburgh’s loss puts them at 5-7 overall and 2-2 in the Big East.

On Sunday the Hoyas shutout West Virginia, led by three players with double figures in kills and an outstanding showing from the freshmen.

The Hoyas hit exceptionally well against the Mountaineers with two hitters over .500 for the match. Albert hit .600, a match best, and also had a match-high five blocks, two of which were solo stops and six kills. Kliensorge also hit .563 in the match and posted 11 kills.

Freshman Julie Grauert added 11 kills and nine digs to the win while freshman Margaret Vernon tallied 43 assists from the setter’s position. This was a match-high as well as a personal best for Vernon.

Also adding to the Hoyas victory, Mullen had a match-high 12 digs, four aces, five kills and three assists while Warner added four kills and three digs.

Topping the list of scoring leaders for Georgetown in this match, Vtyurina posted a match-high 13 kills, three aces, seven digs and four blocks.

The Hoyas hit .368 in the match while holding the Mountaineers to .213 and also out-blocking them 7-5.

On Wednesday night the Hoyas had their third home game of the week and fell to American 3-2 (30-24, 22-30, 32-30, 27-30, 13-15). After a grueling five-game match, they fell to 8-6 overall.

Albert was named Big East co-Rookie of the Week for the week ending Oct. 8. She shares the honor this week with Virginia Tech’s Annie Spicer. This marks the first time Albert has received this league honor. Albert leads the Hoyas in blocks with 58, including 15 solo blocks in 49 games for a 1.18 per game average. She also has 97 kills on the season and the team-high hitting percentage of .357, which places her first on the Big East leaders list.

The Hoyas next face Providence at home on Friday at 7 p.m., and George Mason, away Sunday at 4 p.m.