Warnings Fail to Deter Some Study Abroad Plans

Government warnings and reports of violence haven’t stopped some students who want to study abroad in the world’s most dangerous countries.

And since the university decided last August to allow students to study in nations with U.S. State Department travel warnings, a handful have gone searching for foreign experiences far from the typical.

While there are currently no Georgetown-sponsored study abroad programs in countries with travel warnings, several students have already chosen to apply to non-Georgetown programs, including three students who have gone to Israel.

“There are neighborhoods right outside our campus which are dangerous for a foreigner to walk through,” said Jason Steidl (COL ’07), who is studying at Hebrew University on in Eastern Jerusalem. “While I often travel through these, many times I have to take the long way around to get to downtown Jerusalem. Many friends of mine don’t ride buses here.”

The State Department reissued its travel warning for Israel, the West Bank and Gaza last June. The agency urged Americans to be “vigilant” in commercial, downtown areas of West Jerusalem and avoid demonstrations and public places.

Some students have also applied to study in Lebanon, which was issued a travel warning on Nov. 7.

Nicole Firlik (COL ’08), who has applied to the American University of Beirut, said she is not concerned about the State Department’s warnings.

The government warned Americans in Lebanon to vary “times and routes for all required travel” foreigners following the assassination of Prime Minister Rafiq al-Hariri last year.

“I’m worried for the Middle East more than for myself,” Firlik said.

OIP requires students who want to study in countries with travel warnings to attend a special information session which describes the application process, outlines political and safety issues, and gives examples of “site-specific emergency scenarios.” The meeting also includes comments from a State Department official.

“OSAC told us about risk factors like anti-American sentiments, possible riots and demonstrations,” Firlik said.

Firlik attributed her interest in Lebanon to the country’s unique culture and history.

“The country has 18 religions and possibly every problem that exists in the Middle East,” she said.

“So if Lebanon can figure it out, then the Middle East can figure it out,” Firlik said.

Farrah Farley (SFS ’06), who studied for a summer at the Lebanese America University, said that she was not concerned by the country’s security situation.

“I felt safer in Lebanon than in D.C. because post-9/11, D.C. is one of the world’s number-one targets for terrorists, not Beirut,” Farley said.

“The decision was made to allow students to apply for study in [travel warning] countries by the senior leadership of the university, and OIP’s role is to implement that policy,” said Katherine Bellows, executive director of the Office of International Programs.

According to Bellows, the university does not “affirmatively encourage” traveling to these locations, which include countries and regions such as Nigeria, Sudan, Afghanistan, Israel, the West Bank and Gaza.

If a student wants to study in one of the 27 travel warning countries, they must apply to OIP for consideration.

While assessing the student’s proposal, the university considers the “academic necessity and appropriateness of the proposed study” as well as the “individual’s personal preparedness,” according to the university policy.

In addition, the university has said that it will respect the “weight of the content of the relevant travel warning.”

Bellows explained that if the location is an integral part of the program and studies cannot be completed in a “less volatile area,” then the committee is willing to consider it