Week of Take Back the Night Events Begins

WOMEN’S CENTER Week of Take Back the Night Events Begins By Amanda McGrath Hoya Staff Writer

Members of the Georgetown Community gathered yesterday on the east side of Reiss to dedicate a new bench and commemorative plaque to the Take Back the Night garden and to plant flowers in honor of victims of violence against women.

Approximately 20 members of the Georgetown community came together to witness the dedication and listen to student survivors’ personal stories. The event was the first of many scheduled for Take Back the Night Week, designed to raise public awareness of violence against women and the resources available to its victims.

“The garden serves to break the silence. It serves as a place for survivors to feel at home on campus,” said Jessica Corsi (SFS ’03), who has been co-chair of TBTN for three years. The garden was established last year to “commemorate and honor the survivors’ resiliency and strength,” Corsi said.

Corsi spoke of her own experiences as a victim during the ceremony. Another Georgetown student, Joe McFadden (COL ’02), also shared his personal story of sexual assault. “Hiding doesn’t make it any easier . It’s not just about the physical effects, but the silence that comes after. Violence, especially that against women, depends on that silence, that coercion not to talk . that’s where the power comes from,” said McFadden.

The ceremony also involved the planting of new flowers in the garden. With the help of Bob Schumate from the campus landscape department, each attendee was invited to plant one of the pansies in the bed, which had already been seeded with six different types of perennials that will bloom each year. “Victims of violence are struggling to survive,” said McFadden. “The flowers are a symbol of life and the resiliency of survivors.”

According to the D.C. Rape Crisis Center, one in three women will be raped in her lifetime. Survivors of sexual assault are estimated as nine times more likely to commit suicide and also have considerably higher rates of drug and alcohol abuse. Approximately 84 percent of all rapes go unreported.

“Sexual violence is an epidemic in our society. More than coming to the ceremony, more than sitting on a bench to remember the victims, we have to become activists . It is amazing what little effort it takes to make a dent in the power of silence,” McFadden said.

Of the effects of Take Back the Night on the community during her three year tenure, Corsi said she felt the organization had been “extremely effective. I’ve seen countless women who have been touched by it, who have been empowered to share their stories.”

The bench and plaque installed in the garden this year are the result of funding by SAC and various university departments.

TBTN events for this week include a self defense workshop, a discussion on dating violence and performances by local artists. TBTN culminates Friday with a rally, march and speakout. The march, which Corsi said usually draws about 300 participants, will travel through the Georgetown neighborhood and campus.

The rally in Red Square will feature Former National Organization of Women President Patricia Ireland as well as student speakers. “Not a lot of people are in the place to share personal stories with the public, so student speakers are voluntary participants.”

A performance by Gracenotes will open the rally. Corsi noted that Gracenotes has been involved with TBTN Week since its beginnings seven years ago. The group was originally chosen because it was the only all-female a capella group on campus.