Weekend Festivities Lead to Arrests

Authorities cracked down on fake identifications during Homecoming weekend events both on and off campus, leading to at least three student arrests, although this year’s Homecoming Formal proceeded without serious disruption.

Metropolitan Police Department officers confiscated many fake IDs during the Homecoming Formal at the Georgetown Waterfront and took several offenders to the MPD Second District Headquarters, said Fritz Brogan (COL ’07), co-chair of the Georgetown Events Committee.

According to the MPD Second District arrest book for the night of the formal, three Georgetown sophomores were brought to the station, given a citation and released.

Brogan said the GEC hired six off-duty MPD officers to patrol the event and to check IDs along with 20 Waterfront bouncers after inappropriate conduct at last year’s formal, which resulted in significant damage to the City Tavern Club on M Street.

“The drunken antics of a few guests marred the image of the event,” Brogan said.

He said that students who registered for this year’s formal were required to sign a waiver indicating that they would run the risk of arrest or fines if they were not of legal drinking age and attempted to drink.

MPD Media Liaison Officer Kenneth Bryson said the citations given to the students would constitute a misdemeanor. He said that specific charges would vary depending on the circumstances.

On Saturday, confiscation of fake IDs continued during the Homecoming Tailgate, where Homecoming Chair Jerry Graunke (SFS ’07) said he noticed a significant increase in confiscation in comparison to last year’s event.

“Even though it was only two hours, I saw numerous people getting their identifications taken away,” Graunke said.

Director of Student Programs Martha Swanson, who helped to organize the tailgate, said that she did not think the university had done anything more this year to prevent underage drinking at the tailgate.

She said that, as has customarily been done, Georgetown hired an outside security group to check IDs at the tailgate and that everyone underage was required to wear a red wristband.

Vice President for University David Morell said he and Department of Public Safety Director Darryl Harrison met with MPD before Halloween to discuss Homecoming logistics.

Morrell said that DPS wanted to ensure that it would be patrolling the area during Homecoming weekend, especially after last year’s Homecoming incidents, which included a car accident involving an intoxicated student just outside Healy Gates.

Brogan said that he was pleased to see that MPD was confiscating fake IDs at the formal because it demonstrated to the Georgetown community that the committee takes student safety seriously when planning events.

“While a handful of underage people were arrested for trying to gain entry to the event, we see this as a sign that our security was fool-proof,” Brogan said. “Georgetown administrators were concerned about underage drinking and the safety of guests, and I believe that we met their concerns.”

Morrell said that he believes an MPD presence helps deter possible crimes.

“It’s a general interest of MPD to deal with the high levels of noise and disturbance caused by Georgetown students and other people in the area,” Morrell said. “Homecoming draws a lot of attention from neighbors and businesses.”