With Win, Hoyas Post Best Record Since 1985

Dan Gelfand/The Hoya Sophomore center fielder Timmy Jones catches a popup near the fence. Jones stole a base and scored a run in the Hoyas’ 13-3 loss Saturday afternoon.

The Georgetown baseball team recovered from a doubleheader sweep last Saturday with a win at Boston College on Sunday. The Eagles’ offense buried the Hoyas in the twin-bill, 10-4 and 13-3, but Georgetown got solid pitching and timely hitting to win the closing game of the series, 11-4.

Sunday’s win gave Georgetown (24-29, 7-16 Big East) its fourth-highest win total in program history and its most conference victories since 2001.

“We needed that win, especially after [Saturday],” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “That was another huge display of the character of this team.”

The Hoyas jumped out to an early lead in Saturday’s opener but were unable to keep pace with the Eagles. Junior designated hitter Billy Quinn brought home the game’s first run with a double in the first. Junior right fielder Andrew Cleary later came up with runners at the corners and laced a single to left, putting Georgetown ahead, 2-0.

The lead did not last long, however, as the Eagles roughed up junior Eddie Pena for four runs in the bottom of the first.

The Hoyas cut the lead to one in the next inning. With runners at second and third, Quinn hit into a fielder’s choice to score sophomore shortstop Matthew Johnson.

Boston College pulled further ahead with two runs in the third. Pena was pulled out of the game in the fifth after the Eagles scored two more runs to take an 8-3 lead.

Sophomore third baseman Danny Gronski hit a solo home run in the sixth to cap off the Hoyas’ scoring. Boston College would go on to add two more runs in the bottom of the inning to make it 10-4.

Saturday’s second game followed a similar script, as the Hoyas were again unable to hold onto an early lead. With one out in the second, sophomore center fielder Timmy Jones was hit by a pitch and then stole second. Jones later scored on Johnson’s single to right.

Senior left fielder Ron Cano hit a one-out double in the third and moved up a base after a fly out by Quinn. Senior catcher Mike Lombardi gave the Hoyas a 2-0 lead with a single to score Cano.

Boston College moved ahead with three runs in the bottom of the inning, and the Eagles expanded their lead with four runs in the fourth, taking a 7-2 lead.

Freshman Erick Chandler (5-5) took the loss, allowing seven runs over 3.2 innings.

Georgetown moved within four in the sixth when Supple scored from first on a two-run double by Johnson. But the Eagles pulled away with four runs in the seventh and two more in the eighth, putting the finishing touches on a 13-3 win.

Wilk turned to sophomore Warren Sizemore to hold off Boston College on Sunday and he responded with one of his best outings of the year. Sizemore went eight innings, allowing just two runs while scattering six hits and three walks to pick up his fifth win.

“He had his best fastball of the year and he located that and his slider,” Wilk said. “He kept a good lineup off balance, and Cleary called a good game.”

The Hoyas gave Sizemore some breathing room with a four-run second inning. Supple, starting in center field for the first time in his career, kicked things off with a bases-loaded single to score a run.

“We were joking with him before the game because [center field] is the only position he hadn’t played in his three years here,” Wilk said. “He did a nice job. It’s a luxury to have an athlete who can do that and gives you flexibility.”

Johnson and Brooks each drove in a run with bases-loaded singles and Cano brought home the final run with a sacrifice fly, putting Georgetown ahead 4-0.

The only blemish on Sizemore’s record came when Eric Wright hit a two-run homer to make it 4-2.

After Supple’s RBI double in the sixth made it 5-2, Georgetown had another four-run inning in the seventh, highlighted by Quinn’s two-run double. Cleary contributed a sacrifice fly and Johnson picked up his fourth RBI of the series with a run-scoring single.

Johnson has been on an offensive tear of late. In his past five games, he hit .438 (7-of-16) with five RBIs and four runs scored.

“He did a terrific job in the field, and he’s gotten very competitive at the plate,” Wilk said. “He has gained confidence more and more each game. He’s a special player.”

“I have just been trying to take the ball up the middle, and just reacting to the inside pitch,” Johnson said. “Throughout the season, I have been picking up the breaking ball sooner and have been getting more comfortable seeing the ball from right-handers.”

Already leading 9-2, the Hoyas added two more runs in the eighth. Quinn drove in his third run of the game with a single and Cano later scored when Lombardi hit into a double play.

Boston College made some noise with four runs in the ninth, but junior Thomas Braun held on to preserve the 11-6 win.

Georgetown will look to move out of last place in the Big East in its final series of the year against Villanova at Shirley Povich Field. The opening game of the series is scheduled for 7 p.m. on ay 15. The Hoyas will finish their season with a doubleheader starting at noon on Monday, May 17.

“I think we’re in good shape to end up strong,” Wilk said. “We’re going to love the next 10 days. We’re pretty banged up right now.”

Lombardi has been named to the Johnny Bench Award watch list, an honor presented to the nation’s top college catcher. Lombardi is currently second on the team with a .326 average and 32 RBIs.

“Most of the guys on that list I have either played with or against in the Cape Cod League and/or New England Collegiate Baseball League, so to say I can catch with the best of them is a pretty special statement,” Lombardi said.

“Mike has helped in every aspect of the program,” Wilk said. “He’s a centerpiece to build around. He’s everything I could have asked for in a student-athlete.”