Women Cannot Fend Off Big East Foes

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Senior forward Jesse Beers-Altman has been one of the team’s leaders this season. She saw time in both home games, which ended up in losses.

The Georgetown women’s soccer team played two very similar games this weekend.

In both matches, the Hoyas faced Big East powers with 9-2-0 records. In both games the Hoyas put themselves in an early hole, but battled back with aggressive play. And both games featured late goals by opponents to put Georgetown away.

The Hoyas lost to both Villanova and West Virginia by a score of 2-0. The losses drop Georgetown to 4-8-0.

“I never thought we’d be in this position,” head coach Diane Drake said. “Unfortunately this has kind of been deja vu. We’ve been in a situation where we’re pressing, things are happening and then they get the counterattack goal.”

The Hoyas came out aggressively in Friday’s match, keeping the ball in Villanova’s zone for much of the first period. Junior midfielder Nicole DePalma and sophomore midfielder Kyle Holsinger-Johnson led the charge, pressuring on both offense and defense while moving all over the field.

Despite its efforts, Georgetown managed just two shots in the first period. Villanova managed just two more shots than the Hoyas, but capitalized on a free kick to take a 1-0 lead.

In the 21st minute, Wildcats junior defender Michelle Biehl took the kick from 30 yards out and lofted the ball into the goal box. Sophomore forward Lindsey Finnegan trapped the ball, turned and scored into the top of the net.

Georgetown came out of intermission playing an extremely physical game, winning several challenges and keeping the Wildcats on their heels. The Hoyas failed to punch the ball in the net, however, and managed just one shot on goal during the game.

Villanova clinched the victory with a goal in the 85th minute. With Georgetown pushing upfield looking for the equalizer, Finnegan stole the ball and passed ahead to junior forward Laura Johnson on a breakaway. Johnson’s shot hit the left post, but deflected past freshman goalkeeper Erin Mazursky and crossed the line for a goal, sealing the Wildcats’ 2-0 win.

A similar script played out Sunday against West Virginia. Georgetown struggled early in the match, with the Mountaineers threatening to score several times. West Virginia broke through in the 21st minute, after Georgetown was called for a foul outside the box. On the ensuing free kick, Laura Kane hit a high, arching shot that hit the inside of the post and found the back of the net.

“The first goal was just a matter of time,” Drake said. “It really could have been 4- or 5-0 in those first 15 to 25 minutes. We were a little bit fearful and we sat back a little bit.”

Mazursky kept the Hoyas in the game with a strong performance in goal. She finished with six saves, including several diving stops that kept West Virginia from increasing its lead.

Georgetown came out at halftime reenergized. Drake started the second period with an offensive-minded lineup. The move nearly paid immediate dividends, as Georgetown came close to a goal in the 53rd minute. Freshman defender Cristina Araps sprinted down the right side in West Virginia territory and hit a centering pass from the back line. Sophomore midfielder Ashley Darcy, standing by the left post, headed the ball but hit the side of the net.

The Hoyas managed a total of four shots on goal, but were kept off the board by Mountaineers freshman goalkeeper Lana Bannerman.

West Virginia’s second goal of the match came in the 66th minute. Sophomore forward Marisa Kanela ran down the left wing and hit a centering lob toward the goal. Kane headed the ball into the net for her second goal of the game.

With a two-goal cushion, the Mountaineers were able to play back and preserved the 2-0 victory. The loss was Georgetown’s sixth at home, compared to one win. The Hoyas were undefeated at North Kehoe last season.

Since scoring nine goals at Howard on Sept. 24, the Hoyas have scored just two goals in four games. Georgetown is averaging 1.58 goals per game, down significantly from last year’s average of 2.72.

“I thought we might give away goals,” Drake said. “[But] no one can put their finger on it. We’re just a little off.”

Georgetown travels to South Bend, Ind. to face Notre Dame on Friday at 7 p.m.