Women Come Together to Stomp Tar Heels

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Senior midfielder Anouk Peters had one goal on the afternoon during Georgetown’s 14-3 routing of North Carolina on Sunday, bringing the team’s record to 7-1 this season.

All season, the No. 2 Georgetown women’s lacrosse team has been plagued by an inability to play what Head Coach Kim Simons calls a “complete game.” Sunday, when the No. 15 North Carolina Tar Heels came to town, the Hoyas finally put together that complete game, and the result was a 14-3 victory.

“One of our biggest goals today was to not let the opposition back into the game,” Simons said. “That’s been a little bit of an issue for us, but today I thought we did a good job of that.”

The first half of Sunday’s game looked similar to any other first half this season. The temperature on the field at game time was in the 40s with strong wind gusts, but that did not seem to bother the Hoyas. “We’re used to this weather – windy, blustery, cold, miserable – that’s this field up here,” Simons said.

The Hoyas scored first, with senior midfielder Anouk Peters putting in a goal less than four minutes into the game. Georgetown won the ensuing draw and rushed the ball downfield, where junior mid Allison Chambers followed Peters’ goal with one of her own just 13 seconds later.

A stunned North Carolina team called a timeout to regroup, but the Hoya onslaught continued shortly after. Senior mid Michi Ellers hit junior midfielder Lauryn Bernier on a crossing pattern in front of the North Carolina net to put the Hoyas up 3-0 just over six minutes into the game. The Tar Heels finally mustered a response, with junior attack Allison Higgins slipping one by Georgetown goaltender Sarah Robinson at the 23:10 mark.

The game stalled for the next few minutes with neither team scoring as both missed on free position shots. The Hoyas recovered, though, finishing the half with three more goals and taking a 6-1 lead into the half. On the first, Peters connected to Chambers for a goal midway through the half. With just over five and a half minutes left, junior attack Hollis Pica finished a direct free position shot, and later freshman attack Coco Stanwick hit junior attack Sarah Oliphant over the top of the goal for the Hoyas’ final tally of the first half.

Less than a minute into the second half, junior attack Catherine Elbe bounced the ball off the ground just in front of Tar Heel goalie Kristen Hordy, slipping it by her to give Georgetown the 7-1 lead. North Carolina responded with a free position goal at the 25:49 mark, threatening to fight their way back into the game.

Georgetown seemed determined not to allow the comeback, however, scoring four goals over the next nine minutes. Senior midfielder Gloria Lozano tallied her two goals during this stretch, while Oliphant added one and Chambers slipped a goal into the bottom corner of the net at the 15:04 mark.

Things again stalled for the Hoyas, who now held an 11-2 lead. North Carolina capitalized on the reprieve as sophomore midfielder elissa McCarthy scored the Heel’s third goal, forcing Georgetown to take a timeout.

“The first half we played very well, we just still need to get our second half to look more like our first half,” Simons said after the game, adding, “We played smart going down the stretch. When our defense can hold a team like theirs to three goals, that’s a good day.”

It did turn out to be a good day for the Hoyas, who scored three goals after the timeout while holding the Tar Heels scoreless over the last nine and a half minutes.

Overall, two Hoyas tallied hat tricks – Lauryn Bernier and Allison Chambers – while Robinson racked up 10 saves and allowed only three goals on the afternoon.

Georgetown heads to Maryland tomorrow to take on the No. 7 Terrapins at 7 p.m., against whom the Hoyas hold a dismal 1-13 all-time record. With only a couple of days to prepare, the Hoyas have a huge challenge ahead of them. The Terps will come into Wednesday’s game boasting a 9-2 record and coming off a 19-4 win Friday over Denver.

The Hoyas are going to need another “complete game” on Wednesday to extend their record to 7-1 and continue to hold on the second spot in the rankings, where they have held steady for the past four weeks.

“We don’t have a lot of time to prepare. We’ve got to be able to go out on the field and make some adjustments just by talking about it. The thing about Maryland is that . you’ve got to be ready to play hard from the very first whistle to the very last one if you want to have a good result,” Simons said.