Women Knock Off ‘Cats, Men Continue To Falter

The Georgetown women’s tennis team won its first match after a three-week hiatus Saturday, dominating Villanova in a 6-1 romp. The men’s tennis team did not escape Villanova so easily, dropping its meeting by a margin of 5-2. Following two losses last week to American and Mary Washington, the men’s team holds a 0-6 record on the season, including 0-2 in Big East play.

Sophomores Liora Gelblum and Lydia Bartell and junior Jordan Botjer delivered solid performances at the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 positions in singles play against the Wildcats. Gelblum and Bartell gave up just three games combined, respectively defeating senior Jen Zick, 6-1, 6-1, and sophomore Courtney Flezzani, 6-0, 6-1. Botjer beat junior Erica Walter, 6-2, 6-2.

Other matches featured thrilling third-set action led by Georgetown junior Stephanie Sutton and sophomore Monisha Ghia. Sutton collapsed in the first set, losing 6-1, but won the second and extra sets by 6-3 and 10-7 margins. Ghia won easily over junior Kelly McAndrew, 6-2, in the first set but was unable to seal the victory in the second, falling by a score of 6-7. She sneaked out of the extra set with the match win, edging her opponent 10-8.

The Hoyas also captured the doubles point.

The women’s team moved to 4-3-1 with the victory. It travels to West Virginia next weekend to take on the ountaineers.

Meanwhile, the American Eagles easily won over the Hoyas last Wednesday, capturing the doubles point and taking five of six singles matches.

The game was American’s home opener for the spring season. Junior Tushar Garg made his first start in the No. 1 spot, soundly defeating Georgetown senior Marc Lohser, 6-4, 6-2. Seniors Troy Crichlow and Chris Belelieu also suffered convincing losses at the hands of American junior Guillaume Tarralle and freshman Juancarlo Vazquez. Both Tarralle and Vazquez were victorious by 6-3, 6-1 margins.

Only Hoya freshman Eric Conrad mustered a victory in singles play, defeating Sebastian Proisy, 6-4, 6-2.

Georgetown managed to secure just one of three doubles matches – Lohser and sophomore Eric Bildman won, 8-4, over Garg and junior Ruben Rivero.

The Hoyas continued their slide while playing two games in two days against the Mary Washington Eagles and the Villanova Wildcats, losing each by a score of 5-2.

Belelieu and Conrad posted wins in singles play against Mary Washington. Belelieu defeated sophomore Tim Ryan in three sets. Teammates Bildman and junior Dennis Cravedi also played their opponents to extra sets, but were ultimately unsuccessful, losing 6-3, 3-6, 4-6 and 4-6, 6-2, 4-6, respectively.

The Wildcats shut down the Hoyas in singles play, suffering defeats only from Conrad and Bilman.

Against both Mary Washington and Villanova, Lohser and Bildman established themselves as the only solid performers in doubles play. They comprised the only pair to win a doubles set in either game, defeating Eagles senior Kevin Loden and junior Dan Uyar, 8-6, and Wildcats senior Ryan Devine and sophomore Lucas Kaster, 8-6.

The men’s team was scheduled to play at George Mason on arch 7. That game was postponed until April 1. Its next match is Saturday at conference rival Boston College.