Women Lightweights Take Second, Hoya Men Fall to Penn Quakers

The Georgetown crew teams eased into the spring season this past weekend, with the women competing in Ithaca, N.Y. and the men traveling to Pennsylvania. The women’s varsity lightweight squad, ranked No. 7 in preseason polls, turned in a second-place finish with a time of 7:07.9, just 4.2 seconds behind Marist. Ithaca finished third, in 7:25.4.

Women’s Head Coach Jimmy King was pleased with the Hoyas’ efforts.

“We weren’t disappointed with our performance. We were more disappointed with the outcome,” King said.

The women’s varsity openweight eight lost steam in the second half of its race to finish last in the pack with a time of 7:03.1. Cornell pulled ahead to take first in 6:41.5, with George Washington following in second place, crossing the line in 6:54.6.

“We had a poor racing performance on Saturday, which resulted in a poor finish,” King said. “We’re looking to rebound this week with a performance more indicative of our abilities.”

The freshmen novice eight was solid in its race, despite encountering three men’s boats mistakenly warming up in the Hoyas’ lane. Freshman coxswain Emma Jurado decided to hold up Georgetown’s pace to pull into Cornell’s lane and avoid the other boats.

According to King, this maneuver, although necessary to avoid collision, cost the Hoyas the race. “They lost their momentum, and Cornell went on to win. It would have been much closer if it was a clean race,” King said.

Georgetown still managed to surpass George Washington by four seconds, with a final time of 7:10.6. Cornell took the victory with a time of 7:04.9.

The second novice eight raced next, with Georgetown unable to keep the pace of Cornell, who placed first with 7:12.7. George Washington crossed the line second, with a time of 7:34.3. The Hoyas finished in 7:40.7.

The Georgetown men’s squad, ranked No. 18 in the preseason, was unsuccessful in overcoming No. 9 Pennsylvania. The Hoyas fell to the Quakers in every race.

The Georgetown varsity eight was the closest race of the day, with the Hoyas crossing the line at 6:10.37. The Quakers finished with a time of 6:06.65. Pennsylvania dominated the second varsity eight, finishing over 11 seconds ahead of the Hoyas, with a time of 6:15.55. The third varsity eight proved to be a similar race, with the Quakers crossing the line more than 17 seconds ahead of the Hoyas in 6:23.15.

Georgetown held its own in the varsity four, taking second by merely 3.5 seconds. The Hoyas crossed the line in 7.10.3. The novice eight race rounded out the regatta, with Georgetown trailing Pennsylvania by nine seconds. The Hoyas crossed the line at 6:29.9, and the Quakers finished with a time of 6:20.9.

The women’s squads will compete against Boston University and MIT, both ranked teams, on the Potomac Saturday.

“BU is a program that is ranked nationally year in and out. It will be a good test to see where we are relative to them,” King said.

The men’s lightweight squad will race against Cornell and the heavyweights will face Princeton, both at Princeton.