Women Take Down Connecticut to Go Undefeated in Big East

After a loss to Penn State, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team bounced back against the University of Connecticut on Saturday. The Hoyas overcame the Huskies, 14-9, led by four goals from senior midfielder Gloria Lozano.

The Hoyas have typically scored first this season, but on Saturday the Huskies jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first 10 minutes of play. Connecticut junior attack Tracy Mullaney scored two of her four goals and was followed by midfielders freshman Shannon Burke and senior Kariane Lauri.

“The difference was the game on Wednesday against Penn State. It rattled our confidence a little and it just took us a little bit of time,” Head Coach Kim Simon said. “They came out hard at us and we were still recovering from last week and hadn’t had a whole lot of opportunity to get our feet under us after that game.”

The Hoyas did regroup, tallying five straight over the next 12 minutes. Juniors Lauryn Bernier and Sarah Oliphant each scored two goals to give Georgetown a 6-4 advantage with eight minutes left in the half. The two teams traded goals for most of the remaining time until, with the last seconds ticking off the clock, senior midfielder Anouk Peters found the back of the Huskies’ net to take a 9-6 lead going into the break.

“We were able to regroup and take over the game. It was a combination of my calling the timeout and the seniors basically getting fired up and taking over the game,” Simon said. She credited the win largely to the efforts of the seniors. “Gloria, Anouk and [midfielder] Michi [Ellers] were the main reason we not only won that game but took over at a critical point. It was probably the first game all year where all three of them have had outstanding games in terms of their play and leadership.”

UConn’s Mullaney scored first in the second half, but the Hoyas reeled off four goals over the next 10 minutes to lock up the game. Lozano scored a hat trick during the run, while the Huskies put away two late in the half.

Lozano’s career-high four goals were crucial to the win, and Peters added three. In goal for the Hoyas, junior Sarah Robinson made four stops while freshman Margaret Farland made three saves in seven minutes. UConn goaltender Jennifer Wong made 12 saves while facing 37 Georgetown shots.

Having wrapped up a perfect Big East season, the Hoyas took the league crown and secured a place for themselves in the tournament. They plan to use the final two games in their regular-season schedule to prepare for tournament play.

“Tomorrow’s game is going to be a big test in terms of that. We had to turn right around after traveling on Saturday and play on Tuesday, which is very similar to the tournament with a three-day turn-around,” Simon said.

In addition, Georgetown will look to begin securing important consecutive wins when it faces James Madison tomorrow. “We beat Duke then lost to Princeton, we beat Carolina then lost to aryland, we beat Notre Dame then lost to Penn State. That is going to be something that is going to be key for us. We have to be able to put it together four straight games in a row if we want to have a shot at winning the national championship.”

With only a brief practice between Saturday’s game and the battle against JMU, the team focused on its defensive game plan. Dukes senior midfielder Gail Decker leads the nation in scoring.

The Hoyas take on the Dukes tomorrow at 4 p.m. in Harrisonburg, Va.