Women Win, Men Fall in Meet with Rider

The Georgetown swimming and diving team split the Oct. 28 competition against Rider, as the Hoya’s women’s squad came away with a solid 141-102 victory while the Hoya men fell, 136-107. The women improved their record to 3-0, while the men suffered their first loss of the season, leaving them 2-1.

Sophomore Lauren Moynihan was a triple winner for the Hoyas, taking the 1,000-yard freestyle in 10:44.36, the 200-yard individual medley in 2:16.46 and the 500-yard freestyle event in a time of 5:16.55.

“I think she was the first individual triple winner I’ve ever had,” Head Coach Beth Bower said of oynihan.

Freshmen Colleen Newman and Erin Kehoe, along with junior tri-captain Amanda Anderson, helped clinch a Georgetown sweep in both distance freestyle events. Newman and Kehoe finished second and third, respectively, in the 1,000-yard event, and Anderson and Newman went two-three in the 500, with Newman turning in two personal best times.

Other top finishes came from sophomore Katie Hayes, who touched first in the 200-yard butterfly at 2:15.10. The team of sophomores Liz D’Auria and Erin Lenahan, junior tri-captain Caragh oynihan and Hayes stole another victory for the Hoyas in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:43.56.

As they have in each meet prior to the matchup against Rider, the Hoya divers once again helped solidify Georgetown’s performance.

“The divers really came through for us,” Bower said.

Freshman Juliana Bonilla remained undefeated on both boards, posting scores of 228.08 and 226.13 in the one and three-meter diving events, respectively. Freshman Kathryn Harrison took third place on the one-meter for the Hoyas with 200.55 points, and came back to place second on the three-meter with 200.70 points.

On the men’s side, the Hoyas’ lack of depth finally caught up with them.

“[The men’s squad] doesn’t have as much depth to rely on, so they really have to work together,” Bower said. “[Rider] was a stronger team, but we challenged them. [The Broncs] thought it was going to be an easier meet, but we really pulled together and put in a tremendous effort.”

Junior Chris Lengle extended his undefeated streak in the sprint freestyle events this season, touching out Shaun Lyons of Rider in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 22.03. Lengle again touched out Lyons in the 100-yard freestyle, this time by six-tenths of a second, finishing in 48.07.

Anticipating tough competition from the Broncs, the Hoyas went into this meet strategically prepared.

“What we have is sheer determination. We knew we couldn’t win a lot of the events, so we were going for the 2-3-4 spots, getting in there and getting every place we could,” Bower said.

Georgetown executed this plan in the 200-yard freestyle, with freshman Shodai Enters leading the Hoyas in a 2-3-4-5 performance, with a time of 1:47.17, less than eight-tenths of a second behind winner Brandon Pierce of Rider. Sophomore Jim McLaughlin (1:50.01), junior Will Miller (1:50.29) and senior tri-captain Mike Weiss (1:52.43) rounded out the top five.

Georgetown also saw solid performances from sophomore Bryan Evangelista in the 200 individual medley (2:02.19), senior Steve Brown in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:18.12) and Miller in the 500-yard freestyle (4:57.51), who all earned runner-up honors in their respective events.

Freshman diver Mike Kizer also took second place on both boards, with a 204.08-point performance on the one-meter, and 186.83-points in the three-meter event.

Although the 400-yard freestyle relay team of freshman Dan Connelly, McLaughlin, Enters and Evangelista fell to Rider by only seven one-hundredths of a second, Bower was particularly impressed by its 3:15.00 performance.

“That’s the fastest I’ve ever seen a 400-free relay go at this school as far as an in-season time,” Bower said.

Georgetown is currently gearing up for the George Mason Invite, a three-day meet that kicks off today and runs through Sunday. According to Bower, the team is looking to make Big East and Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference cut times, and hopes to place in the top half of the 13 female and eight male teams from schools all over the country.

“We’re looking to finish in the middle of the pack.

We’re shaving, but we’re not getting championship suits,” Bower said of the team’s preparation. “We’re not going the whole nine yards, but we’re going part of the way. This team has great energy and they want things.”

Related Links

Swimming Team Pages

Men’s Swimming Schedule

Women’s Swimming Schedule