Women’s Games To Watch This Year

Connecticut

When and Where: Thursday, Dec. 7, 7:30 p.m. at McDonough Gymnasium

The Skinny: Georgetown’s first Big East game of the season will also be its toughest. Even though Connecticut (32-5, 14-2 Big East) graduated the anchors of its starting five, guard Ann Strother and forward Barbara Turner, the Huskies have a host of young talent ready to defend their preseason Big East No. 1 ranking.

Georgetown also opened its conference schedule against Connecticut last season, but this year the game should turn out much differently. Last year the Hoyas seemed to be in over their heads in an 80-38 loss, but they were only able to suit up seven players for the game. Now the Hoyas have a full roster, but they will need to be careful not to rely on a single player. In last season’s game, junior forward Kieraah Marlow scored 20 points ” just over half of Georgetown’s total output.

Penn State

When and Where: Sunday, Dec. 17, 3 p.m. at McDonough Gymnasium

The Skinny: Take a break from studying for finals to catch the Hoyas in a non-conference game against Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy’s alma mater, Penn State (13-16, 6-10 Big Ten). At Penn State, Williams-Flournoy played in three NCAA tournaments, and her coach then, Rene Portland, is now in her 27th year of coaching the Nittany Lions.

Senior forward/center Amanda Brown led the 2005-06 Nittany Lions with 15.6 points per game, and her 57 blocks were good for a 1.97 per game average, second-highest in the conference.

Penn State faced two Big East opponents last year and lost to both: 62-59 to Villanova and 73-63 to Marquette. But the Nittany Lions are expected to improve this year. They are ranked fourth in the preseason Big 10 Coaches’ Poll ” four places higher than their 2005-06 finish.

Notre Dame

When and Where: Wednesday, Feb. 21, 7 p.m. at Notre Dame

The Skinny: Last year against the Irish, the Hoyas came back from a 17-point deficit in the second half, only to miss three chances to score the winning basket in the last minute. Georgetown will surely be looking for a rematch with Notre Dame after that heartbreaking 54-52 loss.

Historically, Notre Dame (18-12, 8-8 Big East) has dominated Georgetown, as the Irish have won 20 of their 22 matchups. Considering Notre Dame’s offseason losses of its top three scorers and Georgetown’s offseason roster gains, it looks like the Hoyas will have a good shot at getting their revenge.

Pittsburgh

When and Where: Monday, Feb. 26, 7:30 p.m. at McDonough Gymnasium

The Skinny: This will be the last game of the season for Georgetown and Pittsburgh, and it will likely be meaningful for both teams in qualifying and seeding for the Big East tournament.

The Panthers were the most improved team in the Big East last year thanks to the leadership of Head Coach Agnes Berenato, now in her third season. The Panthers look to build on last year’s breakout season as they return their top two players in senior guard Mallorie Winn, who earned all-WNIT honors, and junior center Marcedes Walker. With a little more focus on defending the basket and some fresh legs, Georgetown can hope to be on the other end of its 79-62 loss to the Panthers last season.

” Emily Liner