Women’s Games to Watch

Opponent: No. 15 Notre Dame (27-6, 13-3 Big East)

Date and Time: Saturday, Jan. 21, 4 p.m.

The Skinny: When the men’s game versus Duke is over, hurry back to campus to see the women’s team square off against a classic rival, Notre Dame.

Two years ago the Hoyas went on an 11-2 run with one minute left to defeat the Fighting Irish 76-73. Though that is Georgetown’s only win over Notre Dame since 1988, the Hoyas have generally matched up well with the Irish.

Notre Dame lost its best player, all-American forward Jacqueline Batteast, to graduation, but senior point guard Megan Duffy will emerge as the team leader this year. If Georgetown can contain her and control play, this Jan. 21 basketball doubleheader will be an exciting day for Hoya fans.

Opponent: No. 5 Rutgers (28-7, 14-2 Big East)

Date and Time: Saturday, Jan. 28, 3 p.m.

The Skinny: You won’t want to miss Rutgers’ Cappie Pondexter, the nation’s best point guard and a preseason all-American, when she comes to McDonough during her senior-year campaign. The Big East’s top team has dominating players at every position on the court, including sophomore standout guard atee Ajavon, the 2004-05 freshman of the year.

But perhaps the best part of this game will be the matchup of 6-foot-4 rookies Kia Vaughn and Katrina Wheeler. Rutgers’ Vaughn is the Big East preseason freshman of the year, and Georgetown’s Wheeler is a McDonald’s high school all-American. The two centers carry a lot of expectations on their shoulders, and this game will highlight the future for these teams.

Opponent: No. 19 DePaul

Date and Time: Wednesday, Feb. 15, 7:30 p.m.

The Skinny: Last year’s Conference USA champions are in a new league now, and the Blue Devils cannot take any games for granted if they hope to finish on top in the Big East.

DePaul is an offensive powerhouse, leading the nation in scoring the past two years. Georgetown will have to find a way to shut down senior forward Khara Smith, a two-time all-American who averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds per game last year.

In this late stretch of the season, the Hoyas will have to be careful and make sure that the team doesn’t get exhausted or injured. Georgetown will need all eight of its players to stay healthy in order to get through February.