Women’s Hoops Hopes for Head Coach

While the women’s club basketball team is searching for a head coach right now, the members are nevertheless confident and ready to take on all the competition.

The team has only played four games so far this season, coming away with two wins and two losses in a tournament.

The Georgetown women play in the East Coast Women’s Club Basketball League and take on clubs based at universities ranging from Princeton to Maryland.

According to the squad’s president, Leah Joseph (MSB ’07), two standout players this year have included Amy Atchison (NHS ’06) and Julie Van Grinsven (SFS ’05).

“They both have a huge presence on the court and have been largely responsible for our success,” Joseph said.

The women face numerous challenges in preparing themselves to play basketball. They suffer from a lack of available funds for travel and no head coach, although the university has provided some financial assistance. Last semester the team was often short of players at practices and games, but Joseph said that problem has been largely fixed this semester. The women also have no designated court space at Yates, so setting up practices can be “a bit of a hassle,” according to Joseph.

Ultimately, the women are committed to having fun and engaging in spirited competition with their peers.

The twice weekly late night practices can be physically draining, but Joseph said that it makes no difference to the women.

“We’re just committed,” she said.