Women’s Sailing Qualifies for North American Championship

Georgetown sailing was all over the East Coast this weekend.

The Hoyas competed in Ithaca, N.Y., at the Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association Open hosted by Cornell, at Connecticut College for the Thompson Trophy, and at the MAISA women’s championship as the hosts.

The MAISA women’s championship was shortened to a two-day total of 11 races in each division because of inclement weather. Georgetown garnered third place in a field of 13, behind St. ary’s and Navy. Old Dominion rounded out the top four finishers, all of which qualified for the Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s North American championship, scheduled for the first two weekends of June.

In the A Division, Georgetown earned fourth place, while the other Hoyas won the top spot in the B Division. Juniors Derby Anderson and Cordo Carraher, senior Barbara Hall and freshman Leigh Fogwell sailed in the A Division while the Georgetown duo of freshman Blaire Herron and sophomore Emily Siguler competed in the B Division.

At the MAISA Open in Ithaca, N.Y., Georgetown won fourth place behind Hobart, Navy and Kings Point. During the chilly weather, 16 races were completed in both the A and B divisions. Georgetown finished fourth in each division. Sophomore Dan Monico and freshman Jamie Loeks sailed in the A Division for the Hoyas, and sophomore Todd Breeden and freshman Zander Farkas participated in the B Division.

The Hoyas also competed for the Thompson Trophy at Connecticut College. Georgetown finished eighth overall in the 18-team regatta, with 17 races sailed in each division.

USC, Yale, Hobart and Harvard prevailed as the top four finishers at the regatta.

Georgetown finished second in the A Division with a team of junior Andrew Campbell and freshman Liz Rapp. The Hoyas saw a much lower finish in the B Division, with freshman Chris Behm and senior Dorthee Bergin, finishing 17th out of 18 competitors.