Young and Old Win for Hoyas

Image Contributor
;

The Georgetown men and women’s golf teams produced a pair of individual winners this weekend at the John Dallio Memorial and the Princeton Invitational. Freshman Brian Dorfman – playing in only his second tournament as a collegiate athlete – and senior Chelsea Curtis both captured individual medalist honors, the first for both teams this season.

Hosted by DePaul University, the John Dallio was played at the Ruffled Feathers Golf Course in Lemont, Ill.

“It was a terrific field of strong mid-major universities, teams that the powerhouse golf teams worry about,” men’s head coach Thomas Hunter said.

Georgetown and the rest of the field – including DePaul, Drake University and Seton Hall – played 36 holes on the first day of tournament play. Georgetown was led by junior Vincenzo Salina in Saturday morning’s first round, playing his way to a 5-under 67. Salina was followed closely by Dorfman, who posted a 3-under 69. Senior Tim Hager and newcomer Taylor Hall added a 1-over 73 and a 5-over 77 to bring the Hoyas’ team total to 286, putting them ahead of the field going into the afternoon.

Dorfman began his charge in the second round, carding a 2-under 70 that placed him at the top of the individual standings. His classmate Hall bested his morning score by one and Salina and Hager posted 73 and 74, respectively. The Hoyas’ combined team total of 1-under 575 again put them in first place in the team standings.

Despite the momentum, Georgetown struggled in Monday’s final round. Hager posted a disappointing 8-over round of 80, while Salina and Hall couldn’t find low numbers either, carding rounds of 76 and 79. Dorfman, however, continued to play strong golf, firing another round of 70 that brought his individual total to 7-under 209, enough to edge out his competitors and capture individual medalist honors.

Despite Dorfman’s win, the Hoyas fell in the team standings, finishing in fourth place behind the tournament’s winner, Southern Illinois. “We lost a little ground the final day, yet that was not due to a lack of effort,” Hunter said. “We are very proud of the final outcome.

“Certainly, it is easy to look at Brian’s wonderful play . but it was a great team effort,” Hunter said. “When you look over the 15 individual golf scores that we posted, you will see some impressive numbers.”

Georgetown’s next tournament is next weekend at Notre Dame’s Gridiron Classic.

As the Georgetown men took on the Midwest, the women were hitting the links in New Jersey at the Princeton Invitational, played at the Springdale Golf Club.

Senior captain Chelsea Curtis led the way for Georgetown in the first round, shooting an even-par 72. Her classmate Carly Hunt came in next with a 4-over 76, followed by junior Robyn English at 5-over 77 and freshman Eunae Jo with an 11-over 83. The Hoyas’ team score of 308 put them in third place for the day, behind host Princeton and second-place Harvard.

In the second and final round, Curtis grinded to try to pull herself out of second place and capture the win. She fired a 3-over round of 75, the second-best score of the day and enough to put her into a match play playoff with Renee Cloutier from St. John’s. Cool under pressure, Curtis won the first playoff hole to take home the win, the third of her collegiate career.

“She had a few top-five and runner-up finishes last season, so I think she was definitely ready to win one,” women’s Head Coach Patty Post said.

The rest of the Hoyas seemed to struggle in the final round, as no one posted a round below 80, and the team dropped from third to sixth place in the final team standings. English carded an 8-over 80, followed by Hunt with an 83 and Jo with an 85. Harvard managed to edge out Princeton by two strokes in the final round to secure the top spot in the team standings.

“I can’t describe exactly what happened in the final round, it’s hard to really pinpoint it . I don’t know if the girls repressed themselves or if they just forced it too much,” Post said. “Our short games were off, that’s where I think we lost our shot.”

The Hoyas next head to Wisconsin for the Badger Invitational this weekend.