Your Guide to Georgetown’s I-Week

Are you interested in African culture? Don’t you think it is time to learn what a “P ow-Wow” is? Do you want to see the Zorba dance or Ancient English Cotswold dances live? Or would you rather dance in a charity night to help the Argentineans hit by the economic depression?

Considering Georgetown’s reputation for international affairs, you might be interested in serious political and social issues concerning other nations. How about a lecture about China’s colonial past or a panel on Turkish-American relations? Or do you have more serious long-term plans and want to pursue a career abroad?

Whether you want to learn about the culture, history or politics of other nations, one of the most colorful weeks of Georgetown, I-Week, offers something for you. Here is a quick tour of what will take place around the campus next week. (It is suggested that you go to the Coffee Hour Kick-Off at ICC Galleria at 5 p.m. today, get a real I-Week program and see the photos taken abroad by your fellow students.)

Cultural Events

The very first event is tonight at 7:30 p.m. in ICC Galleria – Carib night. You will have a chance to experience Caribbean culture with performances and catering from Caribbean restaurants.

The Annual African Cultural Showcase is in Gaston Hall Saturday evening between 5 and 7 p.m. The Showcase will feature models showcasing apparel from all over Africa, dancing and singing.

Right after the Showcase is over, at 7 p.m., Club Filipino’s Bayanihan Banquet starts at Copley Formal Lounge.

Are you afraid of witches? Even if you are, they always lose at the end of fairy tales. Professor Susanne Kord and Father Murphy will present on witches and Grimm’s fairy tales in WGR 201A Tuesday evening 7 p.m.

Wednesday afternoon between 2:30 and 3:15 p.m, stop by Red Square to watch Greek dances from mainland, islands and the famous Zorba dance. If you miss this one, you will have a chance to see it Friday afternoon.

If you are in a romantic mood Wednesday evening, don’t miss the German movie Das Versprechen – The Promise in ICC 107 at 7 p.m. It is about two lovers separated by the Berlin Wall. The film will be shown in German with English subtitles, and you will have chance to discuss with the screenwriter Peter Schneider in English.

On Thursday afternoon, take your time to stop by ICC Galleria before going to class and look around the “Islam Around the World” exhibition. The exhibition will feature colorful displays, architectural models of mosques around the world and a small bazaar with books, videos and clothing.

That evening Foggy Bottom Morris Men will perform Ancient English Cotswold dances twice: at 8:30 p.m. in Sellinger Lounge and 9:30 p.m. in Healy Circle.

The I-Week will close with two grand cultural events. The first one is ASIAFEST next Friday at Gaston Hall from 8:30-11:00 p.m. You will have a chance to see traditional performances and martial arts with a modern expression.

The last event is the 6th Annual Pow-Wow at Copley Lawn next Saturday afternoon, from 1-6 pm. Pow-Wow is a “gathering meant to unify Native American cultures in historical tradition”, the program reads. Native American food will also be provided.

Parties

There are two parties during I-Week. The first one is the Charity Party for Argentinean people who have been hit by the last economic crisis, and the second one the famous I-Party – a great way to close the week.

Thursday evening at 8 p.m., you can have fun and help raise money at the “Let the Rhythm Move You” at Bulldog Alley. Ritmo Y Sabor and GU Ballroom will perform; there will be tango and salsa lessons and a dance party.

The I-Party will take place at Harbin Patio Satuday night from 7:30 p.m. until midnight. You can taste a great variety of ethnic foods and watch performances. Later in the evening, the DJ will play tunes from around the world.

Political and Social Issues

If you want to learn about political and social issues that concern other nations, I-Week presents a wide variety of lectures, panels and discussions.

Monday evening, from 7-9 p.m., there is an International Career Panel in the Leavey Program Room for those who are thinking of a career abroad. Recruiters from the Alliance Abroad Group, the U.S. Department of State and Eli Lilly will talk about exchange programs and international career opportunities provided by their organizations. Ubah Aden, Recruiting Coordinator at the MBNA Career Center, will discuss job search strategies abroad. A question-and-answer period will follow.

Tuesday afternoon at 1:15 p.m., Dr. Tianshu Pan, Visiting Assistant Professor at SFS, will discuss China’s colonial past and prologue for change in ICC 203.

If you look at things from perspective and think about the opposing tendencies diversification and uniformity in the world, Professor Joan Subirat’s discussion will interest you. Subirat is also the Prince of Asturias Chair. The discussion will take place in ICC 106 at 1:15 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

Wednesday offers a coffee-hour discussion about Turkish-American relations at 5 p.m. at Copley Formal Lounge. Matthew Bryza, the Director for the Aegean, Caucauses and Central Asia at the White House will explain the American side of relations, while Zeyno Baran, the Director of International Security and Energy Programs at Nixon Center, and Naci Saryba_, Deputy of Mission at the Turkish Embassy, are presenting the Turkish side.

Finally, at 6 p.m., the 2003 Edward Weintal Prize for Diplomatic Reporting will be presented to Karen De Young from the Washington Post and Carla Anne Robbins from The Wall Street Journal in ICC Auditorium. Marvin Kalb will discuss “Covering Bush and Iraq”.

The last lecture of the week is next Friday at 12:15 p.m. at ICC 202. Professor Iain Guest, Visiting Scholar in the Institute for the Study of International Migration and Coordinator of the Advocacy Project, will discuss the role of civil society in rebuilding countries during and after war. He will give special reference to the Palestinian-Israel conflict.