Valuing Healthy Discourse

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter won’t take the stage in Lohrfink Auditorium until Thursday evening, but her impending visit already has tensions running high. But even if some students can’t stand the persona of certain political speakers, they should appreciate the opportunity to learn from them.

Coulter is hardly the first controversial guest the university has had. Georgetown has never backed away from inviting figures that have spurred an outcry, including Colombian President Alvaro UribeVelez and Gen. David Petraeus. This year, overtly liberal filmmaker Michael Moore was the Lecture Fund’s first speaker of the season.

In the classroom, students are expected to learn by engaging in scholarly discussion and debate. The same should go for talks given by prominent public figures that students choose to hear outside of class. By listening to controversial theories, students on either side of the political spectrum can broaden their minds and strengthen their own viewpoints.

Naturally, such guests bring a certain amount of baggage and possible notoriety — it’s what makes them high profile to begin with. And while students have a right to oppose these guests’ opinions, they should also be respectful and listen intently. The outburst from war protesters during Petraeus’ speech last year was an embarrassment to the university. Immature reactions endanger Georgetown’s reputation as a home for high-level dialogue.

Our campus community shouldn’t agree on every issue. We all gain when different backgrounds come to campus to share their views; when the ones attracting the most discourse hit campus, go — sit back, absorb and learn — whether or not you agree.