Georgetown Lacrosse Upsets No. 1 Duke

Duke came to Washington, D.C., undefeated and ranked first in the nation with a high power offense and one of the best players in the nation on its team. Georgetown was a team with a lot of potential still trying to find itself in the young season. Sound familiar?

If so, the result should not surprise you as No. 10 Georgetown (4-2) defeated No. 1 Duke (8-1) 11-7 on Saturday at the Multi Sport Facility.

Georgetown jumped to an early 3-0 lead in the first quarter behind goals from junior midfielder Todd Cochran, senior attackman Andrew Baird and sophomore midfielder Chris Schuville.

Duke responded quickly, going on a 5-0 run to end the half led by three goals from sophomore attackman Matt Quinzani, who found the back of the net three times in a nine-minute span in the second quarter.

The Hoyas only won 1-of-5 faceoffs in the third quarter, but stayed in the game thanks to back-to-back goals by sophomore attackman Ricky Mirabito. Down 6-4 with three minutes left in the third quarter, Mirabito, who was named ECAC preseason rookie of the year, scored twice in the last minute and a half of the third quarter to even the score at six goals each.

At the beginning of the fourth quarter Duke senior attackman Matt Danowski, the defending Tewaaraton trophy winner, was assessed a three-minute penalty because his stick was too short. Georgetown sophomore midfielder Andrew Brancaccio made the Blue Devils pay, rifling a shot during the extra man opportunity to open up the fourth quarter scoring and give Georgetown a 7-6 lead. The goal was Georgetown’s second EMO goal for the Hoyas who were 3-of-5 on EMOs on the day.

“We’re not a good man down team right now,” Duke Head Coach John Danowski said to Inside Lacrosse after the game.

att Danowski redeemed himself, narrowing Georgetown’s lead to 8-7 with 7:54 left in the game, but then the Hoyas took over.

Georgetown, which had given up two fourth quarter leads in the last two week, refused to let the Blue Devils back in the game. Sparked by the defense and an excellent effort from senior goalkeeper Miles Kass (18 saves), the Hoyas held Duke scoreless for the remainder of the game.

“The defense really helped me today – I didn’t get shelled,” Kass told Inside Lacrosse. “We did a good job of keeping them to the outside and preventing a lot of back cuts.”

Senior attackman Brendan Cannon, who had two goals and two assists, gave the Hoyas breathing room at 9-7 with his second goal of the game. Georgetown would score two more goals before the final buzzer sounded for an emphatic 11-7 victory.

The win was the first ever by Georgetown over a top-ranked team as the Hoyas won their third straight on the year.

Next up for Georgetown is No. 9 Navy in Annapolis tomorrow. The Midshipmen enter the game winners of six in a row thanks to their defense, which held their opponents to 4.28 goals per game this season.

Senior defender Jordan DiNola leads the Midshipmen defense, which is considered by many to be the best in the nation. The biggest question mark for this unit however, is whether junior goalkeeper Matt Coughlin can play or not. Coughlin injured his leg in a win over Bucknell and did not play last week against Colgate. In his place junior Tommy Phelan got his first collegiate start in between the pipes, holding Colgate to three goals while recording 13 saves.

Navy is known for its defense, but this season they have seen an offensive renaissance courtesy of senior attackman Nick Mirabito. Mirabito, whose younger brother Ricky plays for Georgetown, has 16 goals and 18 assists this season, and is quickly becoming a candidate for the Tewaaraton Trophy.

Urick said his team is done celebrating last Saturday’s win, and is focusing on the Midshipmen.

“We got to put Duke in the rear-view mirror. It was something we savored, but this is a very good Navy team, a very highly-ranked Navy team,” he said.

Game time is set for 5 p.m. at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis tomorrow.