BOD Breaks the Bubble

A university’s board of directors should reflect not just a school’s identity nor its most powerful alumni, but also its priorities and goals as an organization. Georgetown’s recent decision to appoint D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson (SFS ’92, GRD ’07) as a member of its board of directors shows that it values its role in the larger Washington, D.C. community.

The appointment of Henderson, who has served as DCPS Chancellor since June 2011, will ensure that Georgetown is not focused solely on improving its standing as a formidable institution of higher learning, but its standing as a good citizen of the District as well.

In addition to being a Georgetown alum, Henderson is a nationally recognized leader in the field of education, and has a fundamental understanding of the needs and issues facing the District of Columbia. Her appointment signals that engagement in the local affairs of the D.C. community is a priority that University President John J. DeGioia and other officials take seriously, especially as Georgetown keeps much of its local focus on Washington and its international character.

Georgetown’s affairs are intimately and inherently related to Washington’s. Having an individual among our university governance who is both an established member of our alumni community and an established member of the D.C. community can only serve us well.