Let’s Opt Out of Influenza

Michelle Xu
MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA

With midterm season in full swing, complaints of colds and sickness are sure to soon be a constant of life on theHilltop. Luckily, the Georgetown community also has a simple and free step at our disposal to promote and maintain public health: Get a flu shot.

A recent study cited by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that flu vaccinations were associated with a 71 percent reduction in flu-related hospitalizations among adults of all ages and a 77 percent reduction among adults 50 years of age and older during the 2011-2012 flu season.

With statistics like these, and the ease of getting a free flu shot on one of the 13 dates available across campus,there is no excuse for students to miss this annual obligation.

Despite the preponderance of information available, time constraints, fear of needles and forgetfulness will mean that this advice will go unheeded by some. Those who are in danger offalling into this category should remember that failing to get a flu shot not only jeopardizes one’s personal health, but also risks the health of those around them.

During our four years at Georgetown, we might as well take advantage of the perks available. A flu shot might not be the most exciting campus freebie, but it’s certainly one of the most important.