Target, District Taco Arrive in Rosslyn

ANDREW WALLENDER/THE HOYA Rosslyn’s new TargetExpress will celebrate its grand opening Saturday. The new storefront, located at 1500 Wilson Blvd., is a third of a mile from the Rosslyn Georgetown University Transportation Shuttles stop.
ANDREW WALLENDER/THE HOYA
Rosslyn’s new TargetExpress will celebrate its grand opening Saturday. The new storefront, located at 1500 Wilson Blvd., is a third of a mile from the Rosslyn Georgetown University Transportation Shuttles stop.

Georgetown students now have two more reasons to trek across the Key Bridge. Target opened its latest flexible format storefront in Rosslyn Wednesday, catering to young professionals, local hotel guests and commuters. And in December, District Taco will open its seventh storefront in the same building.

The new flexible format Target is located one-third of a mile from the Rosslyn Georgetown University Transportation Shuttles stop at 1500 Wilson Blvd. and will celebrate its official grand opening Sunday.

Flexible format Target stores vary in size and offerings but are much smaller than their full-size counterparts. Some flexible format stores, such as the one in Rosslyn, average 20,000 square feet versus a full-sized Target’s 135,000 square feet.

Target opened another flexible format location in College Park, Md. near the University of Maryland’s flagship campus in July. The Minneapolis-based chain also opened locations in Chicago, Ill., San Diego and Berkley, Calif.

Rosslyn Target Store Manager Anna Dietz said that the Rosslyn location will carry dry foods, produce, home and kitchen necessities, travel accessories, electronics, sport goods and athletic apparel.

“Rosslyn, we think of as a very active area, so we have sporting goods, we have some active wear apparel — and then also some travel accessories because of the proximity to Reagan,” Dietz said.

The store is modeled after two flexible format locations in San Francisco and features a Starbucks and pharmacy.

A key difference in Target’s flexible format storefront is its “to-go” focus, geared toward professionals and commuters. A small sportswear section features Wizards, Nationals and Capitols gear with fans en route to games in mind. The store also offers an assortment of beers and wines, with smaller packaged drinks for area hotel guests.

“The idea behind these flexible format stores is all about convenience,” Dietz said.

Five self-checkout lanes, four staffed lanes and two sections of grab-and-go food items aim to serve those on the go. Two iPads in a “seamless service station” allow shoppers to order items not available in store to be shipped to their homes.

Saejal Chatter (COL ’17) said she is looking forward to having a new option for buying basic kitchen and cleaning essentials and dry foods.

“It’ll be really convenient that I don’t have to take the metro and go to the other Target that’s far away,” Chatter said. “And it’ll be cheaper than M Street.”

A District Taco is also scheduled to open in the same Wilson Blvd. building in December.

The new Rosslyn District Taco will be the District-based chain’s seventh brick-and-mortar location. The restaurant started as a food truck in 2009 and has since spread its operations across the Washington, D.C., area.

For District Taco CEO Osiris Hoil the restaurant opening in Rosslyn is deeply personal.

“When I was laid off from a construction job in 2008, I was feeling down in the dumps,” Hoil wrote in an email to The Hoya. “My Family and friends suggested to pursue my real passion: cooking. With my family’s encouragement, the DT taco stand was born late that summer in Rosslyn.”

District Taco’s menu features low-priced tacos and vegan, gluten-free and vegetarian options, as well as catering and online ordering. The new restaurant will serve the same menu as other locations.

“Rosslyn is very special for us and we want to go back where everything started,” Hoil wrote in his email.

Correction: This article previously referred to Target’s Rosslyn location as a TargetExpress. In August 2015 Target renamed all of its flexible format TargetExpress and CityTarget locations to “Target.” Flexible format stores are no longer categorized as being a TargetExpress or CityTarget.