ECO-HEALTH & EQUITY | Snowstorms and the Safety of D.C.’s Disadvantaged Populations

The snowfall that hit the Washington, D.C.-Maryland-Virginia area on Jan. 15 and Jan. 19 has become the talk of the town. There are those who reveled in it, but, for others, the extreme weather was a burden. Regardless of one’s personal feelings towards the snow, it is important to recognize that it has come with serious implications for the DMV area and its citizens, particularly those who might lack the necessary resources to cope with frigid temperatures and icy roads, such as homeless and impoverished individuals. 

According to the National Weather Service, this is the most significant winter blast that has hit Washington, D.C. in the last two years, with some DMV areas seeing around six inches of snow and wind chill temperatures dropping far below freezing. 

Due to this severe winter weather, Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a cold emergency that ended Jan. 21. The mayor’s office released a list of safety precautions to follow during the cold weather emergency, including staying inside, limiting exposed skin while outside and avoiding driving during snowstorms. 

However, this list of preparedness tips poses concerns for citizens of the District who may not have the resources to take such precautions. For example, homeless people often find themselves sleeping outside in freezing temperatures. With poverty rates rising by about 1.5% across the country since the COVID-19 pandemic, charities such as One Warm Coat have reported a 50% increase in demand for winter coats since 2020, highlighting limited access to coats for those who need them most. These factors can put homeless persons at an increased risk of cold-related illnesses, such as hypothermia and frostbite.

Of course, severe weather always brings its fair share of risk, but interventions can still be made to minimize that risk, especially for these disadvantaged communities. With D.C.’s snow week having wrapped up, the focus must shift to remediation and prevention.

Various charitable organizations based in the DMV area have already taken action to protect underserved populations from the severe cold. For example, the United Planning Organization has been offering people rides to shelters throughout the past week to help them escape the cold. Charities such as DC Doors also accept donations of winter wear, socks, blankets and more, which they distribute to those in need. 

Even for non-homeless DMV residents, snowy conditions can be a burden. Those who have jobs that do not afford snow days are forced to drive in unsafe conditions, and while the D.C. Department of Public Works’ Snow Team attempted to salt and clear the snow from the District’s roads, the weather conditions were still a danger to drivers. Those who do not have the luxury of taking a day off from work or working remotely had no choice but to put themselves in a dangerous position. 

Last week, D.C. saw a plethora of traffic accidents caused by the snow, including multi-vehicle pileups. Fortunately, nobody was injured, but that does not change the fact that civilians were finding themselves at risk of injury. 

Individuals looking to help those affected by the cold can contact the various outreach programs working in D.C. For those who are currently not in a position to give up their time or money, many of these organizations also take donations in the form of old coats and other articles of clothing. One small donation can provide someone with the necessary protection from the dangers of cold weather.