How Soon Is Too Soon For Holiday Music?

Too Soon

[8tracks width=”300″ height=”250″ playops=”” url=”https://8tracks.com/mixes/1172061″]

If their killer holiday music playlist is any indication, our friends at the Guide clearly think that holiday music is fair game after Thanksgiving. Some eager beavers demand their Christmas carols months in advance, and some scrooges don’t want to hear Dominic the Donkey on his holiday rampage until December 24th. So I wanted to ask some of my blogging staff, when is it acceptable to listen to holiday music?

Leila Ali It’s simple. After Black Friday, it’s appropriate to display Christmas decorations/festivities and listen to Christmas music because it’s the next upcoming holiday. Plus it’s more meaningful listening to Christmas hymns and carols when it’s the season to be jolly as opposed to any other time of the year. Then, it’s just weird, and you don’t feel the Christmas jitters and joy as you would when it’s leading up to Christmas.

That’s true. I personally don’t feel that it’s the season to be jolly until I see some snow…but then again, I’m from Albany, New York, so that happens a lot earlier and more frequently there than it does here. I guess I’ll just have to learn to deal.

Karl Pielmeier (KP) – Deputy Editor
It is my humble opinion that there is no wrong time for Christmas music. Sometimes, in the middle of an April shower, or in the soft breeze of an August morning, the only thing I want to hear is Mariah Carey begging me to “make her wish come true,” or telling that “Santa Claus is coming to town.” Christmas music is clearly acceptable at all times of the year. And even if it isn’t, I’m still listening to it when I want to.

Well… that’s just because KP does what he wants whenever he wants.

Marlene Cox Because the spirit of Christmas is better than the fact that Sweet Brown is my distant third cousin*, I would have to say Christmas music is always in season. For the people who say, “Ain’t nobody got time fo dat” well my cousin*, Sweet Brown, and I would like to say “Ain’t you a ho ho ho.”
*Skeptical

I’m not sure how to respond to any of this… but to use Marlene’s token adverb, I think my Christmas spirit would be a little “shambly” if I listened to holiday music year-round.

Michelle Cassidy – Contributing Editor
Call me a curmudgeon, but I don’t want to be hearing Christmas music 24/7 until I’m done with finals and sitting at home double fisting Christmas cookies. I’ll only make an exception for the new Backstreet Boys Christmas song, but that’s only because I have a crush on Nick Carter.

I have a strong allegiance to the younger of the Carter brothers, so I’ll be listening to this song while I stuff my face full of these.

Anna Goldberg If there’s no snow, I say no. I’m with you Lindsay!

Yes. Gold stars for Anna.

Kate Wellde – Deputy Editor
When the leftovers are gone. That’s when you can start playing Mariah Carey.

Mmh, preach. This is officially my new stance on this topic. Case closed. 

So fellow Hoyas, when do you think it’s acceptable to break out the Michael Bublé Christmas? (Well actually…any Michael Bublé is always acceptable, but you get my point)

[cardoza_wp_poll id=1]