A New iPhone Already?!

Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 3.28.29 PM

What if I were to tell you that, as of Summer 2013 (just one short month away!!!), your brand-spanking-new iPhone 5 will be outdated.  You know, the one that was the envy of your friends and the enemy of your wallet? The one that, as of a few short months ago, was literally brand new? Well, it’s time for the guys at Apple to frustrate you again. According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple is expected to release its iPhone 6 (or 5S, still unclear) sometime over the summer.

All 4E has to say about it is, “Really?”

Initial reports have made it seem like the only significant improvements will be an better camera and other color possibilities (think the new iPod Touch). They might put an improved processor chip and slightly improved battery life too, but so far, it appears that it won’t come with iOS 7 or any drastic development like Siri was for the iPhone 4S. The display size will even be the same. So what, exactly, is going to be so awesome about it?

Maybe they will give more options for Siri to make it more all-inclusive. I have always thought it would be cool to have Morgan Freeman giving me GPS directions or restaurant suggestions.  Maybe, instead of spoken commands, your phone could just read your mind. That would be awesome. It probably isn’t too far off the Bump App, right? Better yet, maybe it will come with some useful attachments. iMicrowave? iATM? iParty? (OK, that last one was pretty bad.)

It might be a little unfair that I’m bashing Apple for this one.  I’m a huge Apple supporter and user, and I definitely admire how they’ve been able to become so successful.  And Steve Jobs was one of the greatest innovators in his field, if not the greatest.  But I just can’t figure out what could justify people spending $600 on a new phone, which is about as durable as a China Doll, less than 10 months after Apple’s latest release. Regardless of how ridiculous it is, however, the iPhone 5S is coming.  Will you be ready?