4Eats: Surf’s Up and Chow Down

4eats surfs up chow down

So, your post-school year plans have left you here in Washington for the summer. Maybe you’re here for a (hopefully paid) internship, a job at the RHO or summer classes at Georgetown.

Regardless, you’ll be here for three stress-free, relaxing and blissful months. You can finally go see a concert at Verizon Center without worrying about that calculus exam tomorrow, visit all the monuments at the Mall or spend the day at Six Flags America. All this going out means you’ll be eating out, and as a result, you’re probably happy that you won’t have to see the inside of Leo’s for a while.

Despite your love-hate relationship with O’Donovan’s on the Waterfront, you’ll soon realize that strolling over to Leo’s for some edible sustenance makes your wallet a lot heavier and a lot happier than eating out on the town. After a week of delicious culinary creations at some of the District’s finest restaurants, followed by several days of frozen meals and ramen, you’ll soon face a wallet reminding you to spend your last dollars wisely before the next paycheck (not to mention, you’ll probably have a stomach begging for real food instead of freeze dried noodles). That’s where we come in. Here at 4Eats, we’ll bring you out of your meal-deprived misery and offer some D.C. eatery ideas and recipes where you can get a real bang for your buck:

Surfside

With temperatures rising, what could cool you off more than a refreshing lunch at Surfside? Only a 20 minute walk up Wisconsin Avenue, Surfside offers a beach-inspired menu, making it a great place for a relaxed, summer hangout. Customers are transported to the oceanside as they dine on an open rooftop deck with a beach mural backdrop. Surfside’s menu includes a variety of tacos, quesadillas, burritos, salads and rice bowls, all with a tropical twist. Their salsas, moles, curries and guacamole add bold flavors to their dishes, leaving you wanting more. The best part? The portions are HUGE and nothing is more than $15.

Some mouth-watering entrees include:

Tahiti (taco)
Seared rare ahi tuna on flour tortillas with wasabi cream, sweet soy glaze and lime sesame salad

Harbour Island (taco)
Seasoned braised pork on corn tortillas with tomatillo sauce, cucumber radish slaw and queso fresco

Tobago (quesadilla)
Braised pork, grilled pineapple & jalapeno salsa, cilantro and jack and cheddar cheese

St. Bart’s (burrito)
Warm flour tortilla with blackened fish, romaine lettuce, fresh jalapeno, pico de gallo, avocado and fresh squeezed lime.

Nantucket (salad)
Surfside greens with grilled salmon, grilled corn, zucchini, goat cheese and cherry tomato with a tomato basil vinaigrette.

And if you’re feeling creative, Surfside allows you to make your own taco, quesadilla, burrito or salad with any of the ingredients they have. Explore Surfside’s complete menu for all their delicious and cheap dishes!

In Home Fish Taco Recipe

But here at 4Eats, we don’t endorse simply eating out every day. Summer at Georgetown means experimenting in the kitchen, especially if housing assigned you a Village B or townhouse on Prospect. Here’s a cheap and easy-to-follow recipe for fish tacos, a perfect home-cooked dinner to whisk you away to a surfside vacation:

Ingredients

• 1 pound boneless and skinless tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces, rinsed and patted dry
  • Olive oil, salt and pepper
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
  • 12 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
  • Optional garnishes: cheese, cilantro, lime, avocado

Directions

1. Heat broiler, with rack in highest position. Place fish on rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil & season with salt and pepper. Broil until fish is lightly browned on top, 5-10 minutes, until flesh is opaque throughout.
2. Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix sour cream with 2 tablespoons fresh salsa.
3. Divide fish evenly among tortillas and top with shredded cabbage, sour cream and fresh salsa.

View the complete recipe here.

Surf’s up (and dinner’s served), Hoyas.