Let’s Scream For Ice Cream!

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 5.51.10 PM

Memorial Day Weekend unofficially starts summer and what says summer more than ICE CREAM? This week at 4Eats, we’ll keep you cool with a list of deliciously refreshing ice cream shops as we face our first heat wave of 2013.

Thomas Sweets
Located just a short walk from campus on P Street, Thomas Sweet is the go-to ice cream shop for those who want to sample a variety of yummy treats in one setting. They pride themselves on using the freshest and finest ingredients to create the indulgent products they offer. You can choose from their classic ice creams and cakes, guilt-free fro-yo, decadent chocolates & fudge, or their signature Thomas Sweet original, the Blend-In.

A sample of their flavors include the traditional ones like vanilla, chocolate, Oreos and cream and mint chip. They also have some modern flavors! Here are the highlights:

• Nutella
  • Tiramisu
  • French Kiss (dark chocolate raspberry mousse with bittersweet chocolate chips)
  • Eastern Chai
  • Coffee Amaretto

But it doesn’t stop there. You can’t forget the endless flavors and toppings! Thomas Sweets boasts a selection of chocolate chunks, rainbow and chocolate sprinkles, Reese’s peanut butter cups, Reese’s Pieces, Oreo cookies, Kit-Kat, Nutter Butter cookies, York Peppermint Patties, Mounds, brownies, milk chocolate M&Ms, peanut M&Ms, Heath Bar Crunch, Malt Balls, and more!

Dolcezza
For a more cultured palette, try Dolcezza’s Italian gelato. Gelato has half the fat and calories of ice cream, has a denser and smoother texture, and served at a warmer temperature. What makes Dolcezza unique is its promise to use only the finest available ingredients provided by local farmers.

Experience a different flavor everyday every year. Indulge in strawberries in the Spring, peaches in the Summer, quince in the Fall and sicilian blood orange in the Winter.

Serendipity 3
Finally, there’s always an excuse to eat ice cream as a meal by itself altogether. If you haven’t been there already for someone’s birthday, visit Serendipity 3 on M St. Although it’s a bit pricey, you won’t be disappointed by its decadent offerings. Try their famous frozen hot chocolate and finish it off with a variety of rich toppings. Or indulge in one of 12 milk shakes and floats, including Oreo Express.

And don’t forget their “Drug Store” sundaes.

The Classic One topping included, Additional Toppings $1Hot Fudge, Caramel, White Chocolate Fudge, Peanut Butter, Butterscotch, Strawberry, Pineapple, Chocolate, Marshmallow, Maple Walnut, Covered Espresso Beans, Raspberry

The Red Velvet Chocolate Ice Cream, Scrumptious Red Velvet Cake, Hot Fudge, Whipped Cream & Rainbow Sprinkles

Black ‘N White Sundae Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Marshmallow Cream, White Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate Fudge, Whipped Cream & Tuxedo Strawberry

Check out their menu for more!

Rainbow Surprise Recipe
If you’re feeling lazy and wanna stay in the comfort of your room, at least make your chilly dessert fun to eat. With a few simple ingredients, you can create boring ice cream sandwiches into rainbow surprises.

What you need:

• a box of ice cream sandwiches
  • wax paper, sprinkles
  • a glass dish
  • a cookie sheet

1. Line cookie sheet with wax paper.
2. Pour sprinkles into dish.
3. Unwrap ice cream sandwiches.
4. Press each side into the sprinkles.
5. Lay sandwiches on cookie sheet.
6. Place ice cream sandwiches into the freezer.
7. Set until ready to serve.

Recipe found here.