Go Loco for Local: A Guide to the GU Farmers’ Market

When people think of Wednesdays, they usually think “hump day” or new episodes of their favorite show (Modern Family Wednesdays?) Personally, I think about fresh fruit, Indian food and “people watching” (read as: stalking). One of the best parts about Georgetown in the fall is the weekly farmers market. However, there are some Hoyas that don’t venture to this amazing institution. Maybe they’re scared or maybe they’re just hiding in their Lau 4 cubicles – been there, done that. Do not worry, it is okay, you have time to change your ways! For those willing to give it a try here are my tips to make the most of your farmers market experience:

Perfect Produce The GU Farmers Market offers a bunch of options when it comes to buying produce, but Ashton Farms is my favorite option. They accept credit cards, which is always a plus since no one ever has cash, and they also have a wide variety of fresh West Virginia grown fruits. The workers are also some of the nicest people I have met, be sure to befriend them and get the inside scoop on which apples are the best! Haven’t gotten your paycheck yet? Spent all your money on coffee and bagels? No worries, they offer free samples outside of their stand!

Lunch-tastic The market offers food that is not Leo’s, so take advantage of it! It might be a little pricey (depending on what you get) but trust me it is worth it. One of my favorite lunch places is Indigo Indian. Last year I waited in 40 degree weather for one of their famous indirolls! They make fresh Indian food that is easy to eat on the go or in class! However, make sure you get there at a time when everyone is not trying to get lunch … unless you like lines and waiting, because who am I to stop you.

Bring the money Many of the popular stations do accept major credit cards, but some don’t! Don’t waste your trip just because you aren’t prepared. Also, if you have cash with you it will prevent you from buying everything in sight. Your wallet and future purchases will thank you.

Grab and Go A large majority of the goods at the farmers market are not usable right away, therefore sometimes you need to think ahead. Plan out those weekend dinners and snacks before you go, you will thank me later when you are enjoying your pastries and perfectly ripened fruit.

Fun in the Healy Sun There is a reason why the farmers market takes place during the best times of the year: spring and fall! Instead of running inside with your goodies post-shopping spree, hang out on the lawn. Enjoy the sunshine and do some people watching (this is one of the best places for it). All Georgetown students deserve a break every once and awhile, enjoy it!

I’ll see you at the market, I’ll be the one with the bags on bags on bags. I’m usually pretty strong-willed, but farmers markets are my weakness.

The Georgetown University Farmers Market takes place every Wednesday from 12-5pm on Copley Lawn (you can’t miss it!)

Photo: Georgetown University Farmers Market