How to De-stress and Get Happy

HappyWith ongoing midterms (and finals around the corner), it’s easy for GU student stress levels to run exceedingly high. All-nighters in Lau can take quite a toll, and sometimes naps – although quite beneficial – just aren’t enough to alleviate the negative effects of the high-workload, fast-paced lifestyle of the Hilltop. For that reason, 4E has compiled a special list of stress relievers that can make every Hoya relaxed and happy.

1. Watch a Disney movie I don’t know what it is – the nostalgia, the opening montage where they show the Cinderella castle, how relatable the characters are to your friends on the Hilltop or even the word “Disney” itself – but something about Disney movies can bring out happiness in everyone. Click here for a complete list in ranked order.

2. Go to the Georgetown waterfront and sit by the Potomac Studies indicate that water has a soothing effect on the mind and can help people to find their zen. Take a moment to relish in the relaxing effects of the Potomac. For an added bonus, sit down and watch the sunset behind the Key Bridge … or grab a relaxing bite at Farmers Fishers Bakers.

3. Play hooky I’m not joking. Sometimes, the best way to avoid the stress of those 200-person lectures is to simply skip class. If you think you won’t be productive or paying attention, you might as well use that time for something more useful. In your newfound free time, try out something on our list or don’t get out of bed. You’ve earned it. (Do not make it a habit, though.)

4. Do something you love doing simply because you love doing it Sometimes college can take away from the hobbies we love the most. Take some time to bring them back into your life. Have a favorite band? Go see them. Want to read a book about 18th century Europe? Do it. Step back from what is required, and look into what you actually need at this moment.

5. Go to a restaurant that has your favorite food For me, it’s the rhubarb pie at Dangerously Delicious Pies on H Street. Take a moment, find your comfort food and seek it out. Your belly will thank you.

6. Talk to someone you haven’t in awhile Nothing feels better than reconnecting with a old friend. Reminisce about good times or plan some new good times. Either way, remove yourself from current stress and invest some time in your friendships.

7. Do something nice for a complete stranger Volunteer your time. Give a compliment. Donate a dollar. Buy a cup of coffee. Swipe someone into Leo’s. A random act of kindness can go a long way, especially to someone you don’t even know (and it will probably make you feel better, too).

8. Spoil yourself That’s right. Spoil your diet. Buy that item of clothing you probably shouldn’t. Order dessert. Fog up the entire bathroom when you take a shower. Sometimes you need to forget the rules and live just for you.

9. Walk (or run) outside Fresh air works wonders on a clouded mind. Get those endorphins pumping on one of our favorite running trails.

10. Smile Research shows that whether real or fake, smiling really makes you happier. Besides, if Simon Cowell can do it, so can you:

smiling

11. [Insert Your Happiness Here] The ball’s in your court. Whatever your methodology, take the time to destress and get happy. We aren’t doctors here at 4E, but hey, we’re ordering you to do it anyway.

Photo: Iagiftshop